Old 27-09-2005, 11:53 AM
CV

Default Planting Eucalyptus trees

Hello,

I have 2 Eucalyptus trees which I would like to plant. One is 10cm
(Pauciflora), the other is 70 cm (I know, rather tall allready,
Perriniana). Are there any things I should take care off while planting
those? We have rather fertile loam soil.
I'm also thinking of making a fence of plastic arround them to protect
them from cold wind when frost kicks in. I live in Belgium.

kind regards

Chris
Old 27-09-2005, 05:13 PM
Treedweller

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:53:18 +0200, CV wrote:

Hello,

I have 2 Eucalyptus trees which I would like to plant. One is 10cm
(Pauciflora), the other is 70 cm (I know, rather tall allready,
Perriniana). Are there any things I should take care off while planting
those? We have rather fertile loam soil.
I'm also thinking of making a fence of plastic arround them to protect
them from cold wind when frost kicks in. I live in Belgium.

kind regards

Chris

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

highlights:
dig the hole 3X the diameter of the rootball but only as deep as
necessary (1X the depth of the rootball). Backfill with unamended
native soil.

Make sure you do not plant the trees too deep. The current rootball
may include soil above the trunk flares. If necessary, remove soil
from the top of the rootball until flares are visible, then plant them
at or slightly above grade level. This is very important to get the
best results from your trees.

Staking may be needed for the taller tree, but do not wrap the staking
material around the trunk (just around the back side and back to the
stake). Otherwise, as the tree grows (expands in diameter) you get a
similar effect to putting your neck in a noose and hanging. Flat
webbing is better than string or wire (and a piece of garden hose with
wire inside it is no better than wire alone). Remove staking after
one year at the latest.

good luck,

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-236
Old 27-09-2005, 05:59 PM
Charles

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:53:18 +0200, CV wrote:

Hello,

I have 2 Eucalyptus trees which I would like to plant. One is 10cm
(Pauciflora), the other is 70 cm (I know, rather tall allready,
Perriniana). Are there any things I should take care off while planting
those? We have rather fertile loam soil.
I'm also thinking of making a fence of plastic arround them to protect
them from cold wind when frost kicks in. I live in Belgium.

kind regards

Chris

Watch out for root-bound plants. Eucalyptus got a bad name in
California for a while when people planted them from containers where
they had become root-bound. They never developed strong roots and
fell down a lot.
Old 28-09-2005, 08:37 AM
CV

Charles wrote:
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:53:18 +0200, CV wrote:

Hello,

I have 2 Eucalyptus trees which I would like to plant. One is 10cm
(Pauciflora), the other is 70 cm (I know, rather tall allready,
Perriniana). Are there any things I should take care off while planting
those? We have rather fertile loam soil.
I'm also thinking of making a fence of plastic arround them to protect
them from cold wind when frost kicks in. I live in Belgium.

kind regards

Chris

Watch out for root-bound plants. Eucalyptus got a bad name in
California for a while when people planted them from containers where
they had become root-bound. They never developed strong roots and
fell down a lot.

What do you mean with root-bound plants exactly? They both came in their
own pot.

Thx

Chris
Old 28-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Charles

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:37:57 +0200, CV wrote:

Charles wrote:
[...]

A plant that has been in the pot too long gets its roots wound around
and won't grow out properlt.

Here's a pictu
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/planting/manyroots.htm

eucalyptus are especially prone to this as they are a fast growing
tree. When the roots con't spread properly after they are planted
they are prone to blowing down in a wind.

some info he

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/eucgrowth.html

Old 28-09-2005, 09:01 AM
CV

A plant that has been in the pot too long gets its roots wound around
and won't grow out properlt.

Here's a pictu
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/planting/manyroots.htm

eucalyptus are especially prone to this as they are a fast growing
tree. When the roots con't spread properly after they are planted
they are prone to blowing down in a wind.

Ah oke. I planted mine yesterday and I didn't notice a pattern like
this. The soil was pretty loose arround the roots when I took it out of
the pot. I even didn't see any roots. So, I may presume they are oke?

Thx for the replies

Chris
Old 28-09-2005, 09:04 AM
Charles

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:01:28 +0200, CV wrote:

A plant that has been in the pot too long gets its roots wound around
and won't grow out properlt.

Here's a pictu
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/planting/manyroots.htm

eucalyptus are especially prone to this as they are a fast growing
tree. When the roots con't spread properly after they are planted
they are prone to blowing down in a wind.

Ah oke. I planted mine yesterday and I didn't notice a pattern like
this. The soil was pretty loose arround the roots when I took it out of
the pot. I even didn't see any roots. So, I may presume they are oke?

Thx for the replies

Chris

If the roots were not at the edge of the soil in the pot, then
probably okay.
Old 28-09-2005, 09:06 AM
CV

CV wrote:

A plant that has been in the pot too long gets its roots wound around
and won't grow out properlt.

Here's a pictu
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/planting/manyroots.htm

eucalyptus are especially prone to this as they are a fast growing
tree. When the roots con't spread properly after they are planted
they are prone to blowing down in a wind.

Ah oke. I planted mine yesterday and I didn't notice a pattern like
this. The soil was pretty loose arround the roots when I took it out of
the pot. I even didn't see any roots. So, I may presume they are oke?

Thx for the replies

I bought them over the Internet and I think (I'm not sure) the guy kept
them in his garden and transplanted them in the pot. This guy is one of
few Eucalyptus breeders in my "area" (they come from the Netherlands) as
far as I know. They where maximum 2 days in the pots (for transport) and
they where packed very well. If it turns out that these trees are doomed
to die. I will try again in spring to breed them from seeds.

Kind regards

Chris