GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shrub ID, please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/107515-shrub-id-please.html)

Julie 28-09-2005 06:17 PM

Shrub ID, please

This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been able to
come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and
none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This is growing in my
yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?

http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875990 (full plant)
http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875989 (close-up of flowers)

The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the central
long "finger" is about 3 feet high.

Thanks,
Julie

Doug Kanter 28-09-2005 06:26 PM

"Julie" wrote in message
This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been able to
come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and
none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This is growing in my
yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?

http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875990 (full plant)
http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875989 (close-up of flowers)

The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the central
long "finger" is about 3 feet high.

Thanks,
Julie

I don't know, but I don't think you should let children go near it. :-)

axeman 28-09-2005 06:33 PM

"Julie" wrote in message
This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been able to
come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and
none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This is growing in my
yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?

http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875990 (full plant)
http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875989 (close-up of flowers)

The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the central
long "finger" is about 3 feet high.

Thanks,
Julie

Could it be some sort of sumac?

Jacqui

Cindy 28-09-2005 07:08 PM

"Julie" wrote in message
This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been able to
come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and
none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This is growing in my
yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?

http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875990 (full plant)
http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875989 (close-up of flowers)

The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the central
long "finger" is about 3 feet high.

Thanks,
Julie

Why is that plant flipin' us the bird??!!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 28-09-2005 07:57 PM

In message , Julie
writes
This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been able to
come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via Google, and
none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This is growing in my
yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?

http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875990 (full plant)
http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875989 (close-up of flowers)

The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the central
long "finger" is about 3 feet high.

Except that I didn't think that Amaranthus was a shrub, it looks like
Amaranthus (amaranth, love lies bleeding). The usual species is
Amaranthus caudatus.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info

Julie 28-09-2005 09:22 PM

MarcAnt wrote in
:

Julie schreef:
This is a rather distinctive-looking plant, but I haven't been
able to come up with the proper search terms to dig up a name via
Google, and none of my gardener friends have recognized it. This
is growing in my yard in NW Michigan. Anyone know what it is?

http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875990 (full plant)
http://www.pbase.com/qjul73/image/49875989 (close-up of flowers)

The leaves are red-veined on the underside. The very top of the
central long "finger" is about 3 feet high.

Thanks,
Julie

I'm not sure, but can it be an Amaranthus caudatus 'Fat Spike'
(see http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/9360/ )?

Marc

I think you and Stewart nailed, it Marc. That sure looks like my
oddball plant. I guess I miscategorized it when I called it a shrub.

Thank you!
Julie