GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Adding dirt to grassy area around pavers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/107596-adding-dirt-grassy-area-around-pavers.html)

Airkings 01-10-2005 02:02 PM

Adding dirt to grassy area around pavers?

I made a small patio area with stone pavers spaced about 4-5" apart. I'm
growing grass in between the pavers. In the meantime the dirt has settled a
bit and now the pavers are not flush with the dirt, which I would like.

My question is - how can I add another 1/4" to 1/2" dirt without killing the
grass that is already growing? Thanks!

--
x-no-archive: yes

Dave

[email protected] 01-10-2005 02:52 PM

Just add it, the grass won't mind.

Warren 01-10-2005 04:02 PM

Airkings wrote:
I made a small patio area with stone pavers spaced about 4-5" apart. I'm
growing grass in between the pavers. In the meantime the dirt has settled a
bit and now the pavers are not flush with the dirt, which I would like.

My question is - how can I add another 1/4" to 1/2" dirt without killing
the grass that is already growing? Thanks!

Shovel it on, and use the backside of a rake it grade it. Fall is probably
the best time to do this, too.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Your guide to Network Television's Fall Premiers:
http://www.holzemville.com/television/fall2005.html

Warren 02-10-2005 04:41 AM

"Airkings" wrote in message
nk.net...
It won't kill the grass that's already there when it gets covered by the
dirt?

You did say 1/4-inch to 1/2-inch, not 1/4-yard to 1/2-yard, right?

Why would 1/2-inch -- or even 1-inch of soil be a problem for established
grass? That's essentially an insignificant amount unless you're actually
putting down 3-inches and tamping it down.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Shop for gifts for fans of "The Simpsons":
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/simpsons

vincent p. norris 03-10-2005 03:18 AM

It won't kill the grass that's already there when it gets covered by the
dirt?

Since you seem doubtful about that advice, let me second the
suggestion that you just add the soil. The grass will works its way up
through it.

vince norris