GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plum tree: need help identifying illness (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/107646-plum-tree-need-help-identifying-illness.html)

Graham Fawcett 02-10-2005 09:26 PM

Plum tree: need help identifying illness

Hello,

I've moved into a new home that has a plum tree. The tree is bearing a
lot of fruit (not very tasty though) but it seems to have a rather
nasty fungus(?) growing on it.

Pictures available he http://www.flickr.com/photos/36076712@N00/

Could someone please help me to identify the illness? Any tips on
treatment would be welcome.

Thanks,

Graham

Powerless Agronomist 02-10-2005 09:58 PM

"Graham Fawcett" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I've moved into a new home that has a plum tree. The tree is bearing a
lot of fruit (not very tasty though) but it seems to have a rather
nasty fungus(?) growing on it.

Pictures available he http://www.flickr.com/photos/36076712@N00/

Could someone please help me to identify the illness? Any tips on
treatment would be welcome.

Thanks,

Graham

If it is spreaded on a various parts of tree, it is what we call "cancer",
we usually cut it and burn it, plant can live but for how long I can't say,
I saw one old pear tree (50 years old, but about 10 years live with it and
now is at the end), maybe I'm wrong, but try some other opinion.

Graham Fawcett 03-10-2005 09:12 PM

Powerless Agronomist wrote:
"Graham Fawcett" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I've moved into a new home that has a plum tree. The tree is bearing a
lot of fruit (not very tasty though) but it seems to have a rather
nasty fungus(?) growing on it.

If it is spreaded on a various parts of tree, it is what we call "cancer",
we usually cut it and burn it, plant can live but for how long I can't say,
I saw one old pear tree (50 years old, but about 10 years live with it and
now is at the end), maybe I'm wrong, but try some other opinion.

Thanks, P.A. It's quite widespread; I'll do a bit more research, but it
sounds like we'll have to take this tree down.

Graham