Old 12-10-2005, 01:15 PM
madgardener

booger! say hi to my little family of Rufus who summer in Dandridge, will
ya?
maddie
"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 19:02:54 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

"Richard Miller" wrote in message
The so called nectar in a bird feeder: Isn't that just sugar water?
About
a 4 to 1 ratio? Should you put red die in it? Is it ok to put it in the
sun?

Richard
boil the water.....use two cups of fine white sugar to 4 cups of water,
no
food coloring necessairy. the hummer's will know what it is. yes, you
can
put it in the sun, but if it's hot, you have to make sure it doesn't turn
or ferment. the hummer's get drunk and it's not good for them. (no, they
don't pick fights and try to drive home......g) if it is hot, the
sugar
water will turn, so I'd just put half of the mixture in the feeder and
the
rest in a container in the fridge until you're ready to change it again.

madgardener whose hummers seem to have gone to Mexico..............

Nah, they're all here in Texas! I saw a bunch today at my feeder as
they are migrating through right now. I see species I don't
ordinarily see here.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:20 PM
madgardener

"Bourne Identity" wrote in message
Maddy, you wouldn't intentionally hurt a fly! People think more sugar
is better for their migration, but what most people don't realize (and
paggers many have listed this in her info) that hummingbirds get most
of their nurtition from insects, not nectar.

nah, there you have me totally wrong. I'm dead aim for flies..........I know
they have a place in the web of life, but I take 'em out with an old
fashioned swatter any chance I gets. I do capture wasps and bees though.
Although........those steroid mamma jamma's I just zap. They're too mean to
capture and release back outside. They turn on you and chase you back into
the house for just living in their neck of the woods. So I kill those that
wander inside upon occaison. I open a door and give them an opportunity
before I nuke them. But if you've ever seen a yellow hornet that is a good
three inches of fuzzy, pointy butted arrogance that only fears hawks and
larger birds.....................I had one trapped in a sconce light in my
hallway that leads from the nook to the kitchen on the opposite side of the
house and after opening the door to freedom, she proceeded to try and sting
her way out of the stained glass sconce. I decided that once she got out,
she'd sting someone, many many times. So I put her out. literally. man she
was a good 3 inches and had a stinger that gave me nightmares.
maddie

Old 13-10-2005, 05:03 AM
Bourne Identity

Okay, they told me to trill at you. It's pretty hummingbird loud out
there about now. Thankfully, everything is still in full bloom so
they have plenty of stuff to eat.

I believe the hummers who migrate through here are from north of us,
the guys you have fly down through Louisianna and across the Gulf to
Cozumel. They get a tan, then do it all again.

veet

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:15:05 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

booger! say hi to my little family of Rufus who summer in Dandridge, will
ya?
maddie
.. .

Old 13-10-2005, 05:05 AM
Bourne Identity

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:20:25 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

[...]

Yeek. However, you obviously never had an infestation of cicada
killers! Now that's a huge buzzer.

[IMG] code is On

First humming birds Bob Texas 2 17-03-2008 10:07 PM
Fem humming bird by feeder looking right at me Padraig Garden Photos 1 07-12-2006 05:59 PM
Attract Humming Birds?? FXDWG Lawns 10 21-08-2005 07:42 PM
OT Humming bird moths Sacha United Kingdom 3 26-09-2003 12:32 AM
humming birds sited Betty Highfill North Carolina 0 25-04-2003 11:20 PM