Old 11-02-2003, 06:55 AM
Sean Harding

Default My Dracaena Massangeana: a lost cause?

I have a poor dracaena massangeana (according to the little plastic
label in the pot) that I've neglected for a little (or perhaps a lot)
too long. I've had it for about three years, and to be honest I'm amazed
it's lived this long. One of the stalks died very quickly, but the other
has stuck it out. However, now it's starting to look pretty bad. I think
it's mostly the result of under-watering; I'd often forget about it for
weeks at a time (I know -- I'm terrible!). Over the last couple of
months, I've made a concerted effort to take better care of it and try
to nurse it back to health. But I'm wondering if it may be a lost cause
at this point. If not, I'd really appreciate some advice about what to
do to help it.

Here's a picture of it:

http://www.sharding.org/outgoing/temp/dracaena-1.jpg

For those who can't or don't wish to go see the picture, the edges of
the leaves are "wavy," the tips of some of the leaves are dried out and
a couple of the leaves are yellow. There were a lot of completely dried
out leaves on it, but I pulled them off.

Any advice? If someone can help me make it healthy again, I promise to
take meticulous care of it from here on out.

Thanks!

sean
Old 11-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Cereoid+10

Too bad you can't have someone arrested for plant abuse. Your plant has gone
through hell. Remember that a plant is a living thing not an object.

Nurse it back to health? Take meticulous care of it from here on out?
Who do you think you are, Michael Jackson? Going from one extreme to another
isn't good either.

Your plant has been kept too dry, not getting enough light and unfed.

Water it until the soil is moist but don't let it stand in water. Move it to
a location where it gets filtered sunlight. Spray the leaves with water.
Give it a couple house plant fertilizer spikes. The old leaves are lost but
hopefully they will be replaced by healthy new foliage with proper care.

Old 11-02-2003, 06:55 PM
zhanataya

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:15:17 GMT, "Cereoid+10"
wrote:

Too bad you can't have someone arrested for plant abuse. Your plant has gone
through hell. Remember that a plant is a living thing not an object.

Nurse it back to health? Take meticulous care of it from here on out?
Who do you think you are, Michael Jackson? Going from one extreme to another
isn't good either.

Your plant has been kept too dry, not getting enough light and unfed.

Water it until the soil is moist but don't let it stand in water. Move it to
a location where it gets filtered sunlight. Spray the leaves with water.
Give it a couple house plant fertilizer spikes. The old leaves are lost but
hopefully they will be replaced by healthy new foliage with proper care.

Stephen tell him the truth. That baby is too ugly to save. Better to
start over with a good looking specimen. It will take over a year
before that one looks good enough to bring inside to display.

zhan
Old 11-02-2003, 11:55 PM
Cereoid+10

Maybe so but how can he develop his nurturing side if he just throws it out
and buys another one?

Would hate to see how the dude treats pets, girl friends, coworkers, family,
friends, etc., if you catch my drift.