GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   bramble as mulch? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/107806-bramble-mulch.html)

halibut-t 08-10-2005 01:32 PM

bramble as mulch?

Hi all, first post so I’ll try and keep it short.

Have a small problem with brambles. I’m looking at taking over an allotment plot which has been left for several years and it is now covered totally in bramble. Cutting the bramble back and digging out the roots I’m happy about – I know I sound like a mad man. The issue is what to do with the cuttings. If lighting fires is not permitted on this allotment I will probably have to mulch them down. But what can I use the bramble mulch for - composting, pathways, as a general top mulch or should it be removed from site altogether. The last one being a bit of a pain as there is no vehicle access to this site.

I’ll remove the roots from the site unless anyone suggests otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Darren ‘H’

simy1 08-10-2005 05:54 PM

you will kill yourself removing the roots. Just mow them for a few
months during the growing season. Or, if you do not wish to spend the
growing season mowing, carefully paint their leaves with a small paint
brush dipped in Roundup (this works well at the height of the growing
season, which is in May around here). Four leaves per bramble usually
kills them. Yes, you can leave the cuttings where they fall, but do not
press them in or cover them with other mulch because they root easily
(so do not put them in pathways or in the compost pile).

You will find that weeds, including brambles, generally do a good job
of conditioning the soil. You will find dark soil underneath, and as
those dead roots in the soil decompose, they will further break the
soil at depth. You can probably plant without tilling, with a light
layer of mulch to prevent weed seeds germination

halibut-t 11-10-2005 11:02 PM

Many thanks Simy1 for your reply, very much appreciated. I will bear your advice in mind when we clear the site.

As for digging out the crowns, I'm quite happy to do the labour. I have just landscaped my back garden all by hand as I have no access for machinery. There was a fair tonnage to shift about and it took me 12 months mind but I feel a lot fitter. The digging should clear the last few pounds around my waist. :-D

Thanks again,

Darren 'H'