GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Landscape stones vs. mulch (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/108086-landscape-stones-vs-mulch.html)

Bishoop 16-10-2005 11:14 PM

Landscape stones vs. mulch

Up till now we've always covered the ground in the shrub and flower beds
with wood derived mulch.

Now we've decided we like the looks of rocks in place of the old mulch and
are wondering if there any associated problems.

What about fertilizing? Can we just distribute the granular types on top of
the rocks?
Anything that we should be aware of before we spend the money on the rocks?

Our home is in Central Florida.

Thanks for any advice.

Lauren 16-10-2005 11:54 PM

Landscape stones vs. mulch

"Bishoop" wrote in message
Up till now we've always covered the ground in the shrub and flower beds
with wood derived mulch.

Now we've decided we like the looks of rocks in place of the old mulch and
are wondering if there any associated problems.

When your shrubs drop some leaves as a normal course of living, they blend
in and decompose in the mulch. If you have landscape stones the dropped
leaves stand out and look pretty dorky, and it's hard as the dickens to
clean them out with a landscape rake.

Sterling 17-10-2005 12:42 AM

Landscape stones vs. mulch

aside from being hard to clean the debris off a stone mulch, the
retained heat from them can fry your plants.

Vox Humana 17-10-2005 01:47 AM

Landscape stones vs. mulch

"Bishoop" wrote in message
Up till now we've always covered the ground in the shrub and flower beds
with wood derived mulch.

Now we've decided we like the looks of rocks in place of the old mulch and
are wondering if there any associated problems.

What about fertilizing? Can we just distribute the granular types on top

of
the rocks?
Anything that we should be aware of before we spend the money on the

rocks?

Our home is in Central Florida.

You should consider the cost and hassle of putting down landscape fabric
under the rocks. Then, anytime you want to plant something, you have to
deal with moving the rocks and the fabric. I think stone mulch is a "look"
that comes and goes. It was very popular in the 60s in my area. Natural
mulch is always in style and is better for your plants and easier to work
around when you need to plant something. If stone mulch was really great,
you would see it in all the Central Florida theme parks and high-end
resorts - which you don't. Down the road if you decide to get rid of it,
you will have a big job and a disposal issue.

sockiescat 17-10-2005 04:39 AM

at the school where i work they had stones at one time and now use mulch instead. we had nothing but a mess there mentioned from leaf droppings and everything.
they now find it a lot easier to look after the perennial beds, shrubs and things without the stones as a top dressing.
there are a number of coloured mulches also that look really nice on the flowerbeds maybe that would be something else to consider because i do agree i think you will have some mess if u want to divide, transplant or move anything. take care, sockiescat.

al 18-10-2005 01:56 PM

Landscape stones vs. mulch

Even though rocks are pretty they'er a mess.
Use wood mulch, it is easier and less mantinance than stones or rocks

Bishoop 18-10-2005 04:20 PM

Thanks

From the replies here, I'm going to rethink the use of landscape rocks.

Thanks to all....

[email protected] 18-10-2005 05:59 PM

Landscape stones vs. mulch

mulch for all the reasons already given, but I did use gravel in my back yard instead
of grass. still love it. http://weloveteaching.com/landscape/gravel/gravel.htm
Ingrid

"Bishoop" wrote:

Up till now we've always covered the ground in the shrub and flower beds
with wood derived mulch.

Now we've decided we like the looks of rocks in place of the old mulch and
are wondering if there any associated problems.

What about fertilizing? Can we just distribute the granular types on top of
the rocks?
Anything that we should be aware of before we spend the money on the rocks?

Our home is in Central Florida.

Thanks for any advice.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE

Snooze 19-10-2005 12:01 AM

Landscape stones vs. mulch

"Bishoop" wrote in message
Up till now we've always covered the ground in the shrub and flower beds
with wood derived mulch.
Now we've decided we like the looks of rocks in place of the old mulch and
are wondering if there any associated problems.
What about fertilizing? Can we just distribute the granular types on top
of the rocks?
Anything that we should be aware of before we spend the money on the
rocks?
Our home is in Central Florida.
Thanks for any advice.

Rock mulch, around here is usually granite or dolomite. It looks nice when
it's new, but quickly becomes ugly. It's almost impossible to keep it
looking neat and clean as leaves settle in it. It gets worked into the soil
every time you dig, and it's hell when you try and remove it later on.

Stick to traditional wood based mulch, it's easier and good for the soil.

-S