Old 17-10-2005, 12:18 PM
Registered User

Location: Hampshire, UK
Post Lemon Plant - does anyone know its proper name?

I have a house plant which my mum gave me a cutting of a few years ago, she has had it in the family for years and we none of us remember where it came from originally or what its rela name is.

It is very dark green, grows very fast, does not flower, it has leaves that are quite broad but fan out at the ends, they feel quite furry when you touch them and more importantly when you rub them between your fingers they smell quite strongly of lemon/ citrus scent.

My Mum always calls it a lemon plant, but I believe this is wrong as it is not a relative of the lemon or indeed it does not grow lemons. I have done some research on the internet and just cannot identify it.

Can anyone help?

Martin.
Old 17-10-2005, 04:44 PM
John McGaw

Default Lemon Plant - does anyone know its proper name?

mbelcher68 wrote:
I have a house plant which my mum gave me a cutting of a few years ago,
she has had it in the family for years and we none of us remember where
it came from originally or what its rela name is.

It is very dark green, grows very fast, does not flower, it has leaves
that are quite broad but fan out at the ends, they feel quite furry
when you touch them and more importantly when you rub them between your
fingers they smell quite strongly of lemon/ citrus scent.

My Mum always calls it a lemon plant, but I believe this is wrong as it
is not a relative of the lemon or indeed it does not grow lemons. I have
done some research on the internet and just cannot identify it.

Can anyone help?

Martin.

Does the leaf picture toward the bottom of this page seem similar? There
are many lemon-scented plants but Pelargonium (commonly called scented
geranium) is the first one that came to mind from your description.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/pelargoniums.htm

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 17-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Cereus-validus.......

You got a picture link for us?

There are many different lemon scented plants.

Old 18-10-2005, 01:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Hampshire, UK
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGaw
mbelcher68 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your help John, I checked out the web link and I have succesfully recognised my plant as a scented geranium citrosa!
Just one further question if I may - the bio for this plant indicates that it flowers, but my plant has never ever flowered?

Thanks,

Martin.
Andover, Hampshire, UK.
Old 18-10-2005, 11:30 PM
John McGaw

mbelcher68 wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/8bwdy

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
http://johnmcgaw.com

Thanks for your help John, I checked out the web link and I have
succesfully recognised my plant as a scented geranium citrosa!
Just one further question if I may - the bio for this plant indicates
that it flowers, but my plant has never ever flowered?

Thanks,

Martin.
Andover, Hampshire, UK.

I suppose like all plants (well, except for dandelions maybe) conditions
have to be right for blooming. You might never have gotten things to the
plant's liking. I have a plant here that I can't identify -- a cousin
gave it to me as a gift when I moved into this house and she said that
it is indestructible. It has lived up to that description quite well.
But in eight years it never bloomed once -- I just noticed today that
there is a cluster of tiny white flowers on it so I must have finally
given it the needed level of neglect. ;-)

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Old 19-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

John McGaw in :

I have a plant here that I can't identify -- a cousin
gave it to me as a gift when I moved into this house and she said that
it is indestructible. I

post closeup of flower :-)

my impression in general ... scented pelargoniums like full sun, loose soil. i don't think they *need* to be dry, but i suspect
soggy is bad.