GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Off topic - five one thousandths of one percent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/108319-off-topic-five-one-thousandths-one-percent.html)

Mike 22-10-2005 07:00 PM

Off topic - five one thousandths of one percent

....of the world's population left us in the year now ending, due to acts of
nature.

200k - Tsunami
1k - Katrina
79k - Kashmir

280,000 is what percent of 6,000,000,000?

280,000 = x6,000,000,000

28 = x600,000

28/600,000 = x600,000/600,000

x = .0000466

x = .00466

It's been 10 years since I've had a math course. Can anyone correct my
figuring?

mickg 22-10-2005 07:06 PM

Off topic - five one thousandths of one percent

Mike wrote:
Snip
Nope you are 100% correct! It is Off Topic. S why post it here?

tomkanpa 22-10-2005 07:32 PM

Off topic - five one thousandths of one percent

He said in the Subject Line that it was OT. Why did you even bother to
read it if you find an occassional OT post offensive.
And better yet, why did you bother to reply?

presley 22-10-2005 09:48 PM

Off topic - five one thousandths of one percent

Well, you left off many thousands killed in other natural disasters.
Probably a thousand or so killed in Guatemala and Honduras during their
hurricane, as well as people killed in other earthquakes, mudslides,
volcanic eruptions, floods, forest fires and drought. However, your final
percentage is probably reasonably close.

Frank Logullo 23-10-2005 11:30 PM

"Mike" wrote in message
...of the world's population left us in the year now ending, due to acts

of
nature.

200k - Tsunami
1k - Katrina
79k - Kashmir

280,000 is what percent of 6,000,000,000?

280,000 = x6,000,000,000

28 = x600,000

28/600,000 = x600,000/600,000

x = .0000466

x = .00466

It's been 10 years since I've had a math course. Can anyone correct my
figuring?

World - Population: 6,446,131,400

Spud Demon 25-10-2005 12:50 AM

"Mike" writes in article dated Sat, 22 Oct 2005 08:00:37 -1000:
....of the world's population left us in the year now ending, due to acts of
nature.

200k - Tsunami
1k - Katrina
79k - Kashmir

280,000 is what percent of 6,000,000,000?

00466 of one percent. You got it right.

To put that figure in perspective, .00391% die every day, assuming an
average lifespan of 70 years.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.