GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identifying yellow wildflower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/108708-identifying-yellow-wildflower.html)

[email protected] 02-11-2005 03:57 PM

Identifying yellow wildflower

Hello,

I recently took this photograph and I am trying to identify it. The
closest I got was "Potentilla eriocarpa", but I don't this that is
correct.

The flower was growing in a small creek in Australia in Brisbane
Forest.

http://www.devsiden.info/images/gulblomst.jpg

Doug Kanter 02-11-2005 04:09 PM

Identifying yellow wildflower

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I recently took this photograph and I am trying to identify it. The
closest I got was "Potentilla eriocarpa", but I don't this that is
correct.

The flower was growing in a small creek in Australia in Brisbane
Forest.

http://www.devsiden.info/images/gulblomst.jpg

Nice flower!

Cereus-validus-........... 02-11-2005 10:16 PM

Identifying yellow wildflower

That's not a Potentilla. Its not even in the Rosaceae. Its not even a native
Australian species.

Its a Ludwigia peploides, an introduced weed.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...es&btnG=Search

Cereus-validus-........... 02-11-2005 10:20 PM

Identifying yellow wildflower

That's really helpful, Doug.

The plant is still a nasty weed even if you don't know what it is. Weeds
with "pretty" flowers are probably the worst of all because of their
aesthetic appeal to the ignorant masses.

gman 02-11-2005 11:15 PM

Identifying yellow wildflower

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:16:51 GMT, "Cereus-validus-..........."
wrote:

That's not a Potentilla. Its not even in the Rosaceae. Its not even a native
Australian species.

Its a Ludwigia peploides, an introduced weed.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...es&btnG=Search

man, i wish i had weeds like that. Mine are all ugly :(

[email protected] 03-11-2005 12:59 AM

Identifying yellow wildflower

Thank you for you reply! Very helpful!

I didn't think I had the right flower, but it was the closest I could
get. I guess that my book on australian wildflowers does not include
introduced plants and weeds :)