GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   hostas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/10885-hostas.html)

ann 18-03-2003 06:20 PM

hostas

Hostas are beautiful plants until the slugs & snails discover them!
Any advice on how to protect them apart from slug pellets? Thanks!

Penny Morgan 18-03-2003 07:44 PM

hostas

I would put a ring around the edges of the plants made of Diatomaceous
Earth. It's an organic powder made of ground up diatoms that
dehydrate soft bodied insects and slugs. I also save and dry egg shells - I
know it sounds weird, but they can be crushed into a fine powder that
feels like shards of glass to slugs AND they slowly feed your plants with
calcium. I just toss them throughout my gardens.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
om...

Phisherman 18-03-2003 10:20 PM

hostas

On 18 Mar 2003 10:04:11 -0800, (ann) wrote:

Hostas are beautiful plants until the slugs & snails discover them!
Any advice on how to protect them apart from slug pellets? Thanks!

You can circle the plants with wood ashes--slugs/snails hate that.
You can use sharp sand/gravel instead of the ashes, but I don't think
that works as well. There's a product called "Sluggo" that is
supposedly environmentally safe but I have not found this product in
stores. Beer or yeast traps. Ducks and toads enjoy eating slugs.

TakeThisOut 19-03-2003 01:32 AM

hostas

where can get toads?

..