GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/108889-frost-bitten-cactus-getting-brown-what-shall-i-do-next.html)

[email protected] 09-11-2005 10:48 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Well I left my columnar fence post type cactus out when it frosted and
now some of the cactus is turning brown. I'm not sure of the species,
but it's a very common variety. In any case I'd love some advice on
what to do next. %80 of the cactus is fine (it stands about 4 feet
tall) but the top sections are pretty brown and getting rotten. Should
I remove the rotted sections of the cactus or leave them? Will leaving
the rotted sections create problems for the rest of the cactus? Any
advice will be very helpful. I've learned my lesson this time. Thanks!!!

[email protected] 10-11-2005 02:13 AM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

If it were mine I'd trim back to sound tissue and I'd be sure to clean
the tool between cuts with bleach or alcohol.
The cut surface should suberize ( form a hard callous) and it may
branch below the cut when growth resumes.
Keep it on the dry side.
Are you sure it's a cactus and not some euphorbia?

[email protected] 10-11-2005 04:28 AM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Actually you are right. It appears to be a Euphorbia Trigonum. If not
it's very close to it. Would that change the scenario at all? Thanks
for your quick reply!

Cereus-validus-........... 10-11-2005 05:31 AM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

That would be Euphorbia trigona.

http://images.google.com/images?q=eu...earch+Image s

Since its a tropical species and not at all cold hardy, you probably
succeeded in killing it all by yourself.

Trying to save it is a waste of time.

oups.com...

[email protected] 10-11-2005 12:52 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Hmm well that seems a little extreme considering it's only 20% of the
plant that's damaged.

[email protected] 11-11-2005 04:30 AM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Couldn't I just remove the brown portions of the plant? It's mostly the
top portion that was effected. Additional feedback would be much
appreciated.

madgardener 11-11-2005 07:18 AM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

just a quick question, Cereus......I have many kinds of thorny Euphorbia's.
(their names are on the pieces of vinyl blinds the gardener wrote them on
and it's 2 a.m, and I'm too tired to go out there and hunt for them in the
dark) I have the variegated one that is white on one side and green on the
other (don't flame me, I am just burnt out and don't feel like writing their
specific names.....) I have one that has reddish yellow leaves, no spines,
all kinds of them. I have left them outside and it's getting down to 35o
tonight. You think I've done terminal damage to them? I've got to prepare a
good spot for them to winter in this dry house with inadequate sunlight and
inadequate windows. Where would YOU put them for the winter in a dry,
electric heat pump heated house for the winter if they managed to go
unscathed in these sparce cold snaps? The last cold was a dry cold as we
were in a drought for over two months, but tonight it's humid because we
finally got some rain last night and I never thought.............I just need
your feedback on a better location to put them. I do have very sunny
southern window in den, and florescent lights in the downstairs that are two
foot from the top of a chest of drawers I place a thick plastic tray on top
of to catch moisture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Tomorrow the
Euphorbia's come inside is why I am asking. If I haven't managed to kill the
red one I will be thankful. The two toned white and green one I can replace
if I have lost it. I apparently have over 11 different kinds of Euphorbia's
and I might have more than that if I counted them..........I'll describe the
rest tomorrow to give you an idea. thanks for your patience and expertise.
madgardener zone 7, Eastern Tennessee, Sunset zone 36
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
That would be Euphorbia trigona.

http://images.google.com/images?q=eu...earch+Image s

Since its a tropical species and not at all cold hardy, you probably
succeeded in killing it all by yourself.

Trying to save it is a waste of time.

oups.com...

Cereus-validus-........... 11-11-2005 12:38 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

You better bring them indoors today.

I brought all my tender plants indoors before Halloween.

"madgardener" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

Cereus-validus-........... 11-11-2005 12:42 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Rot spreads throughout the cortex of the plant long before you see the signs
of damage.

Do whatever you want but you may just be fooling yourself.

oups.com...

madgardener 12-11-2005 09:10 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
m...
You better bring them indoors today.

I brought all my tender plants indoors before Halloween.

thanks. I tucked the red and yellow Euphorbia under the roof on the western
kitchen deck on the potting table. Brought in the split leaf philodendrum,
and the vining split leaf phil. The variegated geranium (pelargonium) got
nipped as it hung on the gutter on the southern side of the house, so I'll
shake the soil from the roots and bag it and hang it upside down in the
upstairs and hope it keeps until next spring like my grandmammy usta do.
The cactus are all fine, but I am now figuring out the placement of the
racks and iron ringed plant curtain. (the rings hook over the iron grids,
which is free standing like a curtain that I found a couple few years ago in
a Service Merchandise when it was going outa business, got solid iron, plant
dividers for $25 each and got two of them. One stays outside under
protection, the other comes inside to hold the assorted clay potted
succulents and cacti in front of the den's eastern door.

the euphorbia's are desperate for light. I need to keep an eye on them
during the winter so as not to lose them. Too unusual, and the gardener who
gave them to me ordered them special. It's been so unseasonably warm here is
why all mine are still out. Usually by Halloween I, too have moved all my
tenders inside. I still have all the downstairs tropicals to drag in the
basement! sigh.......thanks Cerieus, for the feedback. Plants coming in
this weekend despite the comfortable and mid 60's and low 40's evenings for
the next six days. (this global warming effect isn't thrilling me, it's
making me lazy with normal activities regarding my houseplants!)

madgardener

madgardener 12-11-2005 09:17 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
m...
Rot spreads throughout the cortex of the plant long before you see the
signs of damage.

Do whatever you want but you may just be fooling yourself.

have to side with Cereus on this one. By the time I discover rot, it's
usually killed off the remaining portion of the cactus and nothing on the
rest of the plant can be saved. You can seperate it from the rest of your
plants, cut it way back below the rot and hope for the best, just don't be
surprised by the smelly death of the rest of the plant. You might get lucky,
but you at least want to try. I've done the same and learned from my folly.
And it won't be the last time one of mine gets rot as well.....I'm a well
known murderer of cacti and succulents and the occaisonal tropical
houseplant. I never give up......
madgardener whose love of all things horticultural still keeps her way too
busy with mucking about with the affairs of these plants.............I just
bought two desperately needing attention spider plants,one was just potbound
and the pot was broken, the other's parent plants in the pots were yellow
and almost gone from a frost at the Lowes in East Knoxville but had at least
75 extremely healthy and well rooted babies hangiing in great clusters on
many, many stems that just needed clipping and repotting. So I bought them
both for $2.25 total (the broken potted one was 50c, the other was let got
for $1.75 when I looked at the receipt). by the time I repotted the healthy
one, and the babies, I wound up with SIX pots of spider plants~ so two are
going to a gardening friend next week to a good home, the others will reside
with me this winter hopefully growing into healthy pots for springtime.
sometimes a simple houseplant will add a bit of light and simple enjoyment
to the collection.

[email protected] 14-11-2005 02:43 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Thanks for the reply Madgardener! I cut back the plant but it doesn't
look good. Oh well! Live and learn! I won't chance any frost next time.
I'm the same way though. I remember picking a piece of Wandering Jew
that dropped off someones plant at the grocery store. 2 years later the
thing was huge!

Cereus-validus-........... 14-11-2005 02:54 PM

Frost bitten cactus getting brown, what shall I do next?

Here we go with the "Wandering Jew" quip again.

You shall be called the "murdering misanthrope"!!!

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the reply Madgardener! I cut back the plant but it doesn't
look good. Oh well! Live and learn! I won't chance any frost next time.
I'm the same way though. I remember picking a piece of Wandering Jew
that dropped off someones plant at the grocery store. 2 years later the
thing was huge!

madgardener wrote:
"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in
message