Old 12-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Registered User

Question Where to buy bulk compost.

Hello.

We are starting a new garden and vegetable patch and would like to create several raised beds this winter. Does anyone know where we can source affordable bulk mushroom compost (or similar).

We are based in South Lincolnshire, close to Cambs and Norfolk border.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:52 PM
simy1

Default Where to buy bulk compost.

in the US, you just call a tree service and have a few tons of wood
chips delivered to your home for free. The tree service does not pay
for landfill, and you do not pay for the compost. But, it takes some
time for the chips to decompose. They are also acid and nitrogen-poor,
so you need to add some wood ash and some nitrogen-rich fertilizer (I
use urea). They sort themselves out (the bigger chips work their way to
the top of the bed, where they decay slowly and provide some mulch) and
they give you a rich humus.

Old 15-11-2005, 09:17 AM
Snooze

"Keithp" wrote in message

Hello.

We are starting a new garden and vegetable patch and would like to
create several raised beds this winter. Does anyone know where we can
source affordable bulk mushroom compost (or similar).

We are based in South Lincolnshire, close to Cambs and Norfolk border.

Any ranches or private stables in your area? Call them, offer to haul away
their manure, obviously you'll have to compost it yourself. Mix it with wood
mulch from a tree service (as another poster suggested) and you'll have
compost. You'll have a fairly good mix, it will take a season or two for it
to reach nitrogen levels that won't burn the plants.

Some municipalities collect yard waste and compost it themselves.
Occasionally they sell it to residents at the bulk rate, otherwise they sell
it to wholesalers and farms.

-S