GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fall Prep for Spring Lawn & Garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/109139-fall-prep-spring-lawn-garden.html)

[email protected] 17-11-2005 06:30 PM

Fall Prep for Spring Lawn & Garden

I just had two huge Liquid Amber trees cut down because the surface
roots were taking over my entire lawn. (More roots than grass!)
They'll be grinding the stumps and surface roots in the next day or so,
and I plan on installing a new lawn and garden area next spring. What
steps should I take this fall to ensure that the grass and flowers
flourish next spring where huge trees once stood?

- Fleemo

Travis 17-11-2005 09:09 PM

wrote:
I just had two huge Liquid Amber trees cut down because the
surface
roots were taking over my entire lawn. (More roots than grass!)
They'll be grinding the stumps and surface roots in the next
day or
so, and I plan on installing a new lawn and garden area next
spring. What steps should I take this fall to ensure that the
grass and flowers flourish next spring where huge trees once
stood?

- Fleemo

Depending on where your are it may not be too late to sow your
lawn this fall. Grass does better in the long run if sewn in the
fall.

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

[email protected] 18-11-2005 12:08 AM

Fall Prep for Spring Lawn & Garden

Thanks for the reply, Travis. I'll have to install a new sprinkler
system and agonize over the new lawn & garden layout, so it'll probably
be several weeks' worth of planning and work before I'm ready for the
grass to go in. By then, it'll be pretty cold here in Northern
California, so the lawn will probably have to wait until spring. But
that does give me time to do some prep, such as add some blood meal to
the areas full of chipped tree roots.

Any other advice to get the wood-chip laden soil ready for planting is
appreciated.

- Fleemo