Old 18-03-2003, 10:56 PM
it's me

Default Spring is coming to zone5

Three consecutive days of 55+ temps And I'm seeing signs of spring In
southern New Hampshire where last week there was 2 feet of snow.

Daffs amost an inch tall
Hollyhock 2"
Broadleaf Chives an inch tall

Of course these are in front of a large brick wall that I'm sure adds a
zone to this garden. It's sweet to see some growth. The east side of the
bldg I was shoveling snow off Taxis,(Yews, not Maratons). Still have
penty of snow at home, but I started planting hollyhocks, 20 dozen!
There's going to be a lot of freebies coming out of my post office.

Kevin

Old 19-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Iris Cohen

I think I have a winter aconite in bloom. I almost missed the black pussy
willow.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 22-03-2003, 10:44 PM
harrison

Spring has also come to zone 6, two towns west of Boston. I put in a
blissful hour today pruning my rose bushes and giving them their epsom
salts. Some snow is still here, but I work around it. Tomorrow I'll go look
for my snowdrops which should be starting to show. My bulbs are popping and
the tulips are racing the crocuses. Swampy, the resident garden gargoyle,
finally emerged from his snowbank, and from his disgusted, dejected mien, he
too thinks we'll never get this mess cleaned up. Meanwhile indoors, my
seedlings are growing, but not spindly. I caught myself reciting the
Prologue from the Canterbury Tales when I saw and heard the birds chasing
each other with new zest, and I think, with joy, that I may just have
survived the winter of '03. (And, yes, I know we can still get snow because
we have had it in May in the past, but my spring has definitely begun)
Happily, Eugenia, zone 6, two towns west of Boston