Old 20-11-2005, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mikie

Default No More Veggies in Pony Packs?

Hi,
Used to able to buy Pony Packs of (6), and also of (9), (at Walmart).
Now, can't seem to find any Pony Packs.

Was it greed on the part of the growers? Now they only sell the
expensive individual plants and very limited in selection.

Next year...on the window sill using seeds.! That'll wise them up!

Comments anyone?

Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

Old 20-11-2005, 07:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone

On 20 Nov 2005 04:55:51 -0800, "Mikie" wrote:

Hi,
Used to able to buy Pony Packs of (6), and also of (9), (at Walmart).
Now, can't seem to find any Pony Packs.

Was it greed on the part of the growers? Now they only sell the
expensive individual plants and very limited in selection.

Next year...on the window sill using seeds.! That'll wise them up!

Comments anyone?

Mike
Picture Rocks, AZ

Uh, yeah, but maybe not what you wanted ...

That's what you get for shopping at Walmart g

Are there no plant nurseries in beautiful Picture Rocks?
Or any home owners' places, that often have a nursery
attached to the store? I regularly see pony-packs in
nurseries, and also in homeowner's places like (sob) Home Depot,
Lowe's, places like that? Any of the above within a reasonable
drive? (sorry, I don't know your geography down there)?

What about shopping for live plants on-line? I have
never tried it, but somebody else might have experience.
I realize that shopping on-line for pony-packs is probably
not an option

Finally, I cheer your decision to start 'em on the window
sill. You could buy commercial seeds, of course, but here's a
thought: There's a lady in Canada who offers enormous
selection of seeds absolutely free. Seeds that she harvests
from her plants and prepares for shipping. She has sent me
seeds that have done well. If you want her email.
I'll ask her and post if she agrees.

Good luck!

Persephone

--

"Other than telling us how to live, think,
marry, pray, vote, invest, educate our children,
Old 20-11-2005, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Mikie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,
Used to able to buy Pony Packs of (6), and also of (9), (at Walmart).
Now, can't seem to find any Pony Packs.

Was it greed on the part of the growers? Now they only sell the
expensive individual plants and very limited in selection.

Next year...on the window sill using seeds.! That'll wise them up!

They are still available around here in six-packs, but the big box stores
seem to be going to larger individual plants. Why sell six plants for $1.89
when you can sell one for $3.49? I see the same trend in annuals. Stores
are selling larger plants for a lot more money. One of our old, established
nurseries has discontinued selling annuals in flats. They only offer
annuals in 3" or 4" pots. Along the same line is the "proven winner" scheme
where rather ordinary plants are sold in 3 inch pots of some unusual color
for several times what they are worth. I can only conclude that that pink
plastic is expensive because the plants aren't anything special.

I have my Thompson and Morgan catalog next to the bed. I think I am going
to try starting my own annuals next year. If it doesn't work I won't be out
more than $20.

Old 21-11-2005, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
. ..

"Mikie" wrote in message
[...]

Have you used T&M seeds in the past? If so, what were the germination
results? I tried them about 10 years ago and the results were hideous
compared to seeds I got from Burpee.