Old 20-11-2005, 02:40 PM posted to rec.gardens
Big Duke

Default How do you get rid of Moles?

Hi all, Each year around this time in upstate New York Zone 5 we seem to
get a lot of moles. Once the snow covers the ground & then melts in the
spring our lawn looks like a construction site. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to get rid of these guys? Thanks for any comments or
advise.

Old 20-11-2005, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all, Each year around this time in upstate New York Zone 5 we seem to
get a lot of moles. Once the snow covers the ground & then melts in the
spring our lawn looks like a construction site. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to get rid of these guys? Thanks for any comments or
advise.

Reducing the grubs in your lawn is a good start. It is pretty difficult to
get rid of moles. You can use a spring-loaded trap that kills them when
they tunnel under it. You probably don't have a lot of moles as they are
territorial and only get together to mate. If you kill off one, then
another will move into the territory. They make main tunnels that are deep,
and shallow feeding tunnels that connect to the main tunnel. I did see one
mole repellant touted on a gardening program that is made from caster beans
as I recall. It is suppose to repel them. I have no idea if it works.

One other thought is that you may actually have voles. Voles make runs on
the surface or just below and like the cover of long grass and snow. They
are active during the winter under the snow. Voles don't leave big hills of
dirt but moles do.

Old 21-11-2005, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens
ioc

I found some stuff called Mole Patrol at TCS that kills the little buggers
pretty good. I find the surface holes and sprinkle a few pellets in, but I
do not know how that would do with the snow moisture. When they're bad I
have to do it every day for a week or three and take a shovel to fling the
carcasses. Do not fling them where the cattle graze... flinging them near
where the cats crap may get rid of two pests at once.

Old 21-11-2005, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

How do you find the carcasses of these subterranean critters once
they're dead?

-Fleemo

Old 22-11-2005, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
ioc

I knew that it was a misconception that they stay underground... but I did
not realize how many of them come up at night. What I was surprised most by
was the first time I went after them with this stuff mounting a large
offensive on them was, just how many of them came up to die. I can't explain
why but suspect they are looking for water (does this stuff dehydrate them
like rat poison? I dunno) as that is the reason for their overnight behavior
(looking for food and etc).

I'm no expert, I just know that they get more active at the surface level
here in the fall and spring and putting some Mole Patrol in the holes or
even moving a little dirt gently with a spade and then replacing it
carefully gets results. They recolonize tunnels out here in the country so
the fight never ends.

To the original poster, maybe you are seeing a freeze/thaw heave of past
infestations but it can't hurt to nuke the gnawing little bastiids in a few
places just in case.

oups.com...

Old 22-11-2005, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis

ioc wrote:
I knew that it was a misconception that they stay
underground...
but I did not realize how many of them come up at night. What I
was
surprised most by was the first time I went after them with
this
stuff mounting a large offensive on them was, just how many of
them
came up to die. I can't explain why but suspect they are
looking
for water (does this stuff dehydrate them like rat poison?

Rat poison doesn't dehydrate rats, they bleed to death.

I dunno)as that is the reason for their overnight behavior
(looking for
food and etc).

Moles do not come to the surface for food, they eat grubs they
find underground.

I'm no expert, I just know that they get more active at the
surface
level here in the fall and spring and putting some Mole Patrol
in
the holes or even moving a little dirt gently with a spade and
then
replacing it carefully gets results. They recolonize tunnels
out
here in the country so the fight never ends.

To the original poster, maybe you are seeing a freeze/thaw
heave of
past infestations but it can't hurt to nuke the gnawing little
bastiids in a few places just in case.

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do you find the carcasses of these subterranean critters
once
they're dead?

-Fleemo

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 23-11-2005, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
ioc

"Travis" wrote in message
ioc wrote:
I knew that it was a misconception that they stay
underground...
but I did not realize how many of them come up at night. What I
was
surprised most by was the first time I went after them with
this
stuff mounting a large offensive on them was, just how many of
them
came up to die. I can't explain why but suspect they are
looking
for water (does this stuff dehydrate them like rat poison?

Rat poison doesn't dehydrate rats, they bleed to death.

Depends on the type of poison

I dunno)as that is the reason for their overnight behavior
(looking for
food and etc).

Moles do not come to the surface for food, they eat grubs they
find underground.

Again... that's a misconception. I'm not going to get into the quibblefest
that this ng has become (and why it is a shadow of it's former self) by
going around on it. Google this set and see what you get:

mole hole surface night

Bottom line is this... the OP needs something to kill moles. He might try
going to TSC (Tractor Supply Co) or whatever Ag store chain is local to him
and buy a bottle of Mole Patrol and apply as directed and see if it works.
It does for *many* (TSC sells generally accepted products to farmers who
just need results and shun gimmicks) out here in the sticks where these
things are a way of life in recent years. If he turns out to be an exception
what's he out... 7 bucks? He needs to get them now before they are out of
mind until they have litters in the spring. Moles have small litters, but
each one of those buggers can do a helluva lot of damage.

I'm no expert, I just know that they get more active at the
surface
level here in the fall and spring and putting some Mole Patrol
in
the holes or even moving a little dirt gently with a spade and
then
replacing it carefully gets results. They recolonize tunnels
out
here in the country so the fight never ends.

To the original poster, maybe you are seeing a freeze/thaw
heave of
past infestations but it can't hurt to nuke the gnawing little
bastiids in a few places just in case.

oups.com...

Old 23-11-2005, 05:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Default How do you get rid of Master Gardeners?

That seems rather severe but if it works that's good for you.

ioc wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Old 24-11-2005, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens
ioc

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
Rat poison doesn't dehydrate rats, they bleed to death.

Depends on the type of poison

Curious to know what rat toxin is supposed to cause dehydration. Think
the dehydration tale came from either the fact of one; the medical
equivalent of warafin (early anti-coagulant in rat bait) did cause a
thirsty sensation in the people that was on it, but it didn't have the
same effect on rodents, or two; just a lazy exterminator..."No Mrs.
Jones, the rats won't die in the attic, they will go outside to look for
water and die."

The local township agents always said that this is why they leave the barn
as opposed to dying in it when you use the Blue Death that they distribute.
Preferring to believe the local officials over some guy on usenet I looked
around a little this morning and it looks as though the bleeding causes the
thirst, at least according to a few sites, so they may both be right. I
can't believe I spent time looking at that on Thanksgiving... won't waste
any more of my day on it, that's for sure!

Our problem with Blue Death is that they become accustomed to it if you use
the same thing every year. Found where they used the stuff for bedding once!
We now switch off with Rampage at times though the agents don't give that
kind for free. Rampage is also very good near the house (like near the pole
building we park in) when you see them as it nails them in hours before they
can have litters.

Interesting side note, if ya believe in predicting weather the old fashioned
way: Usually they don't make the big move until about the time of the fall
plowing but they started moving indoors a good month ahead of time in spite
of a warm fall. At one time that would have indicated a harsh winter ahead,
but today's rats are likely more high tech than that :-)

Old 25-11-2005, 03:46 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

In article ,
says...
The local township agents always said that this is why they leave the barn
as opposed to dying in it when you use the Blue Death that they distribute.
Preferring to believe the local officials over some guy on usenet
some guy over the Internet? me? It's Lar. If you had fleas in your
barn from the rats I'd bet these same officials would tell you that you
need to treat for fleas two weeks after the initial service to now kill
the ones hatching from eggs.

I looked
around a little this morning and it looks as though the bleeding causes the
thirst, at least according to a few sites, so they may both be right. I
can't believe I spent time looking at that on Thanksgiving... won't waste
any more of my day on it, that's for sure!

web surfing is best done AFTER a good Thanksgiving gorging.

Our problem with Blue Death is that they become accustomed to it if you use
the same thing every year. Found where they used the stuff for bedding once!
We now switch off with Rampage at times though the agents don't give that
kind for free. Rampage is also very good near the house (like near the pole
building we park in) when you see them as it nails them in hours before they
can have litters.
guessing Blue death comes in pellets rather than a block, one of the
downfall of pellets is that it can be moved around, and they will store
it for future food when they can. You do need to be more careful with
the Rampage over the anti coagulant baits though. Secondary poisoning is
more of a non issue with it, but it would be more of a problem for non
target animals getting into the bait. It's a vitamin D3 overdose which
causes mice to have a little mousy heart attack.

Interesting side note, if ya believe in predicting weather the old fashioned
way: Usually they don't make the big move until about the time of the fall
plowing but they started moving indoors a good month ahead of time in spite
of a warm fall. At one time that would have indicated a harsh winter ahead,
but today's rats are likely more high tech than that :-)

Usually Fall business in pest control work is when we see the rodent
work being the main stay of income. This year, in the Dallas area
anyway, has been the most Summer rodent work I have seen in 17 years.
Our activity is due to lack of Winter last year...an older female that
would of died in a normal Winter lived on to have a few more
litters..then those litters started having litters 30-45 days later and
it has mushroomed up to being ridiculous on the amount of work this
year.

--
Lar

Oh, if only Noah would of been a bit more wise,
he surely would of swatted those two flies.

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Old 25-11-2005, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

"Big Duke" wrote in message
Hi all, Each year around this time in upstate New York Zone 5 we seem to
get a lot of moles. Once the snow covers the ground & then melts in the
spring our lawn looks like a construction site. Does anyone have any
suggestions on how to get rid of these guys?

I've heard that if you pour used cat litter down the holes they look for
some place else to live. Cats eat baby moles -- certainly ours did. The
smell of cat urine will drive the moles away to another location. Doesn't
help your neighbors, but it'll help you.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old 02-12-2005, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Leave the moles the hell alone! They ain't bothering you.

Old 03-12-2005, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

If you get a spring harpoon type trap and learn how to use it it works
great. I get them everytime.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 03-12-2005, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mel M Kelly wrote:
If you get a spring harpoon type trap and learn how to use it it works
great. I get them everytime.

God forbid any wildlife trespass on our lawns.