GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   November (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/109268-november.html)

Andy MPLS 44:59:56 N - 93:19:3.018 W 22-11-2005 07:54 AM

November

It's been really warm this winter and now some of the bulbs that I
planted in October are emerging now (November 22nd) is this going to
kill them if winter ever shows up in earnest?

Zone 4 Minneapolis

Sterling 25-11-2005 05:08 AM

November

Mine do this every year but it is mostly the dutch iris. They have
enough self preservation not to bloom but the green gets pretty ragged
looking by March or April when they finally do bloom.

I have seen others complaining about it on this group. Unless you
actually see buds forming, I don't think you have to worry about it.

Sterling

sockiescat 25-11-2005 07:19 PM

Sterling Mine do this every year but it is mostly the dutch iris. They have
enough self preservation not to bloom but the green gets pretty ragged
looking by March or April when they finally do bloom.

I have seen others complaining about it on this group. Unless you
actually see buds forming, I don't think you have to worry about it.

Sterling

Andy MPLS 44:59:56 N - 93:19:3.018 W wrote:
It's been really warm this winter and now some of the bulbs that I
planted in October are emerging now (November 22nd) is this going to
kill them if winter ever shows up in earnest?

Zone 4 Minneapolis

sometimes bulbs get themselves messed around as per what the season really is but i have never had a problem with tulips or things that flower in the spring even if they have some growth on them. the main thing is to provide them with some kind of mulch to protect them especially if they have started growing. here is a link that might help u.
good luck, sockiescat.

http://www.gardenguides.com/gardenin.../babybulbs.htm

Andy MPLS 44:59:56 N - 93:19:3.018 W 26-11-2005 05:18 AM

November

Thanks for giving me hope.
I'd dug up a large portion of my front, and really am looking forward
to spring. If it all comes up, it should be tremendous.