GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Passion flower and Gulf Fritillary (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/109318-passion-flower-gulf-fritillary.html)

Perry Templeton 23-11-2005 02:51 PM

Passion flower and Gulf Fritillary

I am in South Louisiana, in the area affected by both hurricanes. I have a
large passion flower vine. Usually, the butterflies settle here, lay eggs
and their caterpillars eat the vine down to a stubby mess. This year, I'm
afraid the storms have interfered with the normal migration of the
butterflies. They got blown off course.
Should I trim back the passion flower vine for the winter? Or just let take
it's own course?
Perry

glenon 23-11-2005 05:28 PM

Passion flower and Gulf Fritillary

I have lots of passion flowers on my fences and I never trim them back.
They are growing just fine! Did not notice a decline in fritelary butterfly
caterpillars. But interesting enough, they usually stayed on the wild
passion flowers that grow naturally here.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

sockiescat 24-11-2005 04:31 PM

glenon I have lots of passion flowers on my fences and I never trim them back.
They are growing just fine! Did not notice a decline in fritelary butterfly
caterpillars. But interesting enough, they usually stayed on the wild
passion flowers that grow naturally here.

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

i agree with glenon i would just leave your vine unless its in real need of pruning back.
heres a link that might help u some.

http://www.supermarketguru.com/page.cfm/1393
good luck, sockiecat.