GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Passion flower vine - Pruning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/109583-passion-flower-vine-pruning.html)

Persephone 04-12-2005 07:12 PM

Passion flower vine - Pruning

After sitting there sullenly for a season, my passion flower vine has
taken off running. It is on the West-facing side of my garage.
I have trained it by those little stick-ons where you can thread
a twist-tie through the stick-on and around the vine.

The vine is reaching the top of the garage. I can train some
of the branches around the front (should be pretty!) but what to
do about the rest that will be climbing on the roof?

IOW, looking for info about when to prune, at which point in the
vine, at which point in the year, etc. Personal input appreciated, as
well as referrals.

So. Calif coastal, Zone 24.

Tx!

Persephone

--

Those who cannot remember the past
are condemned to relive it.

Santayana

Travis M. 05-12-2005 02:30 AM

tinytee wrote:
Persephone wrote:
[...]

Great reply "tinytee"

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington

Tom J 05-12-2005 03:18 AM

Persephone wrote in message

After sitting there sullenly for a season, my passion flower vine
has
taken off running. It is on the West-facing side of my garage.
I have trained it by those little stick-ons where you can thread
a twist-tie through the stick-on and around the vine.

You are just trying to handle what you see above ground. Just wait
until those roots that are growing as fast as the vines begin to shoot
up runners where you never expected any. It took me over 5 years to
rig 50 sq ft of passion vine roots.

Tom J
who also had the same problem with trumpet vines