Old 05-12-2005, 05:28 AM
Registered User

Exclamation Urgent. Need Help!

I have a biology project due tomorrow morning and I need to identify this plant. Anyone can help?? Some say it's a mint. However, it does not look like a mint to me. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2005, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Carolyn LeCrone

Default Urgent. Need Help!

[image: http://www.hkvote.com/plant.jpg]

--
beleebala

It doesn't look like mint to me, either. However, if it has a square stem
it would belong to the mint family.
Carolyn

Old 05-12-2005, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"beleebala" wrote in message

I have a biology project due tomorrow morning and I need to identify
this plant. Anyone can help?? Some say it's a mint. However, it does
not look like a mint to me. Thanks in advance.

[image: http://www.hkvote.com/plant.jpg]

How does the teacher expect the class to ID plants? Using one of those books
which narrows things down gradually based on various characteristics?

An example would be "Keys to Woody Plants", by W.C. Muenscher, Cornell
University Press.

Old 05-12-2005, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

Doug Kanter wrote:
"beleebala" wrote in message

I have a biology project due tomorrow morning and I need to identify
this plant. Anyone can help?? Some say it's a mint. However, it does
not look like a mint to me. Thanks in advance.

[image: http://www.hkvote.com/plant.jpg]

How does the teacher expect the class to ID plants? Using one of those books
which narrows things down gradually based on various characteristics?

An example would be "Keys to Woody Plants", by W.C. Muenscher, Cornell
University Press.

You'll find a lot of plant and weed ID databases with images at
Ergonica World of Weeds www.ergonica.com.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2005, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"raycruzer" wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Kanter wrote:
"beleebala" wrote in message

I have a biology project due tomorrow morning and I need to identify
this plant. Anyone can help?? Some say it's a mint. However, it does
not look like a mint to me. Thanks in advance.

[image: http://www.hkvote.com/plant.jpg]

How does the teacher expect the class to ID plants? Using one of those
books
which narrows things down gradually based on various characteristics?

An example would be "Keys to Woody Plants", by W.C. Muenscher, Cornell
University Press.

You'll find a lot of plant and weed ID databases with images at
Ergonica World of Weeds www.ergonica.com.

Good luck!

My point was based on what I'll admit was a guess: The teacher didn't want
them to post a picture on the web and take the easy way out. He/she might've
wanted them to consult a guide which leads them through the ID process in a
way which helps them learn the proper names for various plant features
(palmate, etc). If that site offers such a thing, I didn't spot it, although
I glanced quickly.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
Powerless Agronomist

"beleebala" wrote in message

I have a biology project due tomorrow morning and I need to identify
this plant. Anyone can help?? Some say it's a mint. However, it does
not look like a mint to me. Thanks in advance.

[image: http://www.hkvote.com/plant.jpg]

--
beleebala

Not a mint, maybe in family, but I have never seen this, I guess it isn't
native in european flora. If it has some aromatic refreshing smell simmilar
to mint it is from that family.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Not true. Not all plants with a square stem are in the Lamiaceae (Labiatae)
nor do all the species in the family have one.

Old 06-12-2005, 02:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

How does the teacher expect you to ID the plant without seeing it in flower?

BTW, Its Ruellia makoyana, a member of the family Acanthaceae.

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...a+&btnG=Search