GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/109706-bamboo-suprise-bridgeport-connecticut.html)

[email protected] 08-12-2005 11:19 PM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

Suprise! I would like to plant bamboo in my garden in BridgePort. I am
hoping to plant in the ground to get fast growth. Does anyone have a
recommendation of a variety that does well here? Thanks for your help!

Chuckie 09-12-2005 12:55 AM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

Bridgeport is where?
Chuckie

Vox Humana 09-12-2005 12:56 AM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

wrote in message
oups.com...
Suprise! I would like to plant bamboo in my garden in BridgePort. I am
hoping to plant in the ground to get fast growth. Does anyone have a
recommendation of a variety that does well here? Thanks for your help!

This grower in near me in zone 6 and has bamboo that would work in your
garden. Take a look at their website. They have some good information:
http://www.burtonsbamboogarden.com/i...?page=home.php

[email protected] 09-12-2005 02:14 AM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

Very cool. Thanks for your help. It is a suprise that they have some
options that will work here in BridgePort. I didn't know they were cold
hardy. I am also going to check out he containment barrier. Looks like
if I don;t it will suprise me and take over my entire back yard!
Thanks for your help!

Tom J 09-12-2005 02:23 AM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

wrote in message
ups.com...
Very cool. Thanks for your help. It is a suprise that they have some
options that will work here in BridgePort. I didn't know they were
cold
hardy. I am also going to check out he containment barrier. Looks
like
if I don;t it will suprise me and take over my entire back yard!

Bamboo anywhere is like kudzu in the south - it can't be contained!! I
know people that put down 3 foot deep barriers and it still crossed to
the open.

Tom J
who wouldn't put in bamboo if paid well

Claire Petersky 09-12-2005 03:53 AM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

wrote in message
oups.com...
Suprise! I would like to plant bamboo in my garden in BridgePort. I am
hoping to plant in the ground to get fast growth. Does anyone have a
recommendation of a variety that does well here? Thanks for your help!

Why don't you ask in rec.gardens.bamboo?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Travis M. 09-12-2005 07:44 AM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

"Tom J" wrote in message
k.net
wrote in message
ups.com...
Very cool. Thanks for your help. It is a suprise that they
have
some options that will work here in BridgePort. I didn't know
they were cold
hardy. I am also going to check out he containment barrier.
Looks
like
if I don;t it will suprise me and take over my entire back
yard!

Bamboo anywhere is like kudzu in the south - it can't be
contained!! I know people that put down 3 foot deep barriers
and it
still crossed to the open.

Tom J
who wouldn't put in bamboo if paid well

Clumping bamboo is an option.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Travis M. 09-12-2005 07:45 AM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

"Chuckie" wrote in message
ups.com
Bridgeport is where?
Chuckie

Connecticut just like it says in the subject line.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

[email protected] 09-12-2005 03:19 PM

Bamboo Suprise for BridgePort Connecticut

Of the running bamboos
Phyllostachys auerosulcata aka yellowgroove
Phyllostachys bissettii aka Bissetts bamboo

Of the clumpers which need more cool moist shade
( they are from the mountains)

Fargesia rufa
Fargesia nitada

There is a wider selection of Fargesia types now as a result of
micropropagation, Prides Corner farms wholesales a few of them.