Old 16-12-2005, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Michelle

Default O.T. Games Celtic Sheep rugby /polo?

Hello guys \
This is so off topic sorry
I know alot of british and irish folks read this news group so I'm
hoping there will be someone who knows of this game it's old middle
ages .(this is research for a fiction book)) I just wondered if any
one has plaed it at a renisance fair lately. I need to get an idea
how the game works and some of the rules. I'm havign a dificult time
locating this sort of stuf on line.
Thanks so much
again sorry it's off topic
Old 16-12-2005, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Michelle

well i don't think it infolves riding sheep lol
i think the sheep is the ball of sorts not a real sheep just a wool
bag stuffed with rags or somthing saldust what ever to look like a
sheep i found the mention on a sort of dead site and here are the
sole posts mentioning sheep rugby
Steve Smith wrote:
Once Upon A Time, I heard a description of a sport called "sheep rugby".
I would appreciate it very much if someone could provide me with a
description and/or set of rules for this noble sport.

-- Etienne

Here in the good city of Eoforwick we have played this wonderful game
for two generations... the original sheep "Murphy" and his offspring
"Also Murphy".

The rules for playing on foot as we see it:

Establish two poles a goodly jog apart - each team claims one (colored
flags help)
Place sheep in middle in circle
Scrum for sheep
Run toward oponent's pole
Oponent try to grab sheep and run it round the other way

This discription to me seemeds incomplete what is the goal and are
their spacific rules?
how many aside for teams and does any thing go?