GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   PJM - Kerria Fix (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/11015-pjm-kerria-fix.html)

Trish K. 19-03-2003 06:20 PM

PJM - Kerria Fix

Seeing the pale lavender PJM flowers (like miniature headlights)
amidst the fall of Kerria branches was more then I cared to see, yet
the sheer abundance of flowers makes for a remarkable spectacle. My
mother insisted we leave them together. I think the good yellow
doubles are a much better plant in it's own right, and PJM seems only
to be exclusive. For a week every Spring, these plants coinciding have
a visual tug of war.

On the plus side:
Both have cascading habits
Both do well under the canopy
Kerria's bright winter green stems look lovely against PJM's bronzy
cold weather hue.

The Fix:

PJM is densely cascading, like a white water river while Kerria is
open, fountain-like (especially in shade), even splashy. What more
natural harmony could be found, then a river and a rock. I bought a
blue, wrought iron birdbath and set it between the two: PJM pouring:
Kerria splashing. Now I am going to under plant my blue Dicentra exima
and cowslip primroses. flowing away down the hill is columbine into an
ivy pool. Blue, I hope, is the key.

downside:

Kitties think I set the water bowl too high (sadly, the only birds in
this yard stare the cats down.)

I still have to see if this works though. At worst it's silly for a
week.

TK