GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   fireplace ash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/110273-fireplace-ash.html)

peta 02-01-2006 05:56 PM

fireplace ash

Is the ash from a wood-burning fireplace good for anything in the garden?
or the compost heap?

Charles 02-01-2006 06:02 PM

fireplace ash

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:56:40 GMT, "peta" wrote:

Is the ash from a wood-burning fireplace good for anything in the garden?
or the compost heap?

If you have acid soil, and don't want it to be so acid, then yes,
otherwise, no

Brian 02-01-2006 07:03 PM

fireplace ash

"peta" wrote in message
k.net...
Is the ash from a wood-burning fireplace good for anything in the garden?
or the compost heap?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Exceptionally valuable. These are the minerals that the trees'
needed for growth and needs to be replaced in the soil. The burning lost
nothing of value to future plants. Use the ash as a valuable fertiliser.
Keep it dry to make spreading easy, or sprinkle on the compost.
Best Wishes Brian.

Starlord 02-01-2006 10:14 PM

fireplace ash

I burn tree wood out in my old BBQ and spread the ash around and till it
into the desert dirt and it's not hurt anything.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

k.net...

Sean 02-01-2006 10:55 PM

fireplace ash

"peta" wrote in
k.net:

Is the ash from a wood-burning fireplace good for anything in the
garden? or the compost heap?

Yes a good source of.....potash.

Koi-lo 03-01-2006 05:39 AM

fireplace ash

"Sean" wrote in message
. ..
"peta" wrote in
k.net:

Is the ash from a wood-burning fireplace good for anything in the
garden? or the compost heap?

Yes a good source of.....potash.

Oh...I was burning the wrong thing then.

:)

George.com 28-02-2006 08:55 AM

fireplace ash

"peta" wrote in message
k.net...
Is the ash from a wood-burning fireplace good for anything in the garden?
or the compost heap?

avoid coal ash and wood that has been treated

rob

Marc 28-02-2006 04:09 PM

fireplace ash

Ashes are excellent for repelling snails and slugs. Use your ashe to create
a protective circle around your plants. The snails won;t cross it.

--
"These are the times that try men's souls." Tom Paine

Marc

"George.com" wrote in message

k.net...