Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood Studios

Default Gardening zone in Guthrie, Oklahoma

I'm going to retire soon, and I'm going home where I grew up, in
Guthrie. One of the things I want to do--besides teach (I'm a music
teacher)--is gardening. I remember how beautiful both sets of
grandparents' gardens were. I have been collecting seed catalogs for
this purpose.

Problem is, I can't figure out what growing zone Guthrie is in, whether
it's 7a or 6b, since there's a little bump in the chart, just above
Oklahoma City where Guthrie is. (In the Stokes catalog, for example.)

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Connie

Old 03-01-2006, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
oups.com
I'm going to retire soon, and I'm going home where I grew up,
in
Guthrie. One of the things I want to do--besides teach (I'm a
music
teacher)--is gardening. I remember how beautiful both sets of
grandparents' gardens were. I have been collecting seed
catalogs for
this purpose.

Problem is, I can't figure out what growing zone Guthrie is in,
whether it's 7a or 6b, since there's a little bump in the
chart,
just above Oklahoma City where Guthrie is. (In the Stokes
catalog,
for example.)

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Connie

This should help: http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood Studios

That's the problem (thank you for posting the link): but it gives a
reading for Oklahoma City but not for Guthrie.

The zip is 73044; is there someplace I can plug in the zip?

Sorry if I'm not seeing it..

Connie

Old 03-01-2006, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

Connie,
The differences between zones 6b and 7a is minimal. Maybe a 5 degree or so
average winter temperature. This will not make much difference in
survivabilty of your plants. Rthese zones are based on AVERAGE winter
temperatures, so even though somone may be listed as zone 6b, for example,
they may have several zone 7-ish winters in a row.

To make things even more complicated.. the USDA is having to revise their
charts due to global climate changes.

Bottom line... You can grow both zone 6 and zone 7 rated plants with Zone 6
being more ....'surviveable'

Old 03-01-2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
oups.com
That's the problem (thank you for posting the link): but it
gives a
reading for Oklahoma City but not for Guthrie.

The zip is 73044; is there someplace I can plug in the zip?

Sorry if I'm not seeing it..

Connie

Is this better?
http://www.growit.com/bin/USDAZoneMaps.exe?MyState=OK

Or this: http://davesgarden.com/pf/zipbyzip.php?zip=73044

If all else fails I would go conservative and say zone 6. Better
safe than sorry.

Remember this is a minimum temperature rating so if you are
talking about summer annuals it don't really matter.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

from the looks of what I was able to discern, you are straddling growing
zones 6a and 7a. With the little micro climates you'll have all over your
yard, it will take a couple of seasons before you are able to figure out
just what zone you're in. But since there isn't too much temperature
difference between those, you should find a wide diversity of plants to
grow. I'd say get in touch with the Agricultural department of the largest
college nearest where you're going to settle (from the looks of it, it
appears it will be Oklahoma City) I'd even contact the extension agent for
Guthrie. that will clinch it. Good luck and lets home those wild brush
fires don't deter you from your retirement dream.....
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee (straddling zone 6b and 7a)

Old 03-01-2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood

Thanks Travis, that did help. At
http://images.meredith.com/bhg/pdf/g...s/oklahoma.pdf
it's easy to see where the confusion lies. Logan County has a big
yellow "dip" in it: Zone 6b.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood

Yeah, those fires are really bad, aren't they. But stuff happens
everywhere. Tornados, floods, hurricanes, earthquakes, no water,
terrorism. There's no place on the planet that's safe, as far as I can
see.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

]
] Problem is, I can't figure out what growing zone Guthrie is in, whether
] it's 7a or 6b, since there's a little bump in the chart, just above
] Oklahoma City where Guthrie is. (In the Stokes catalog, for example.)
]
] Anyone know about this?
]

Hi Connie,

No, I don't really know about your zone. But thought I'd say "hi"
in a different group, anyway.

I assume you'll be establishing a new teaching practice, so
how does that count as "retirement?" I can't imagine you'll
be any less invested in the little horrors. (meant entirely
lovingly, of course!)

Re the zone, I'd consider it a risk to try zone 6 plants, as
apparently you will be quite close to the fuzzy edge. Although
you will of course learn more about the real micro-climate when
you find a place.

cheers!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 03-01-2006, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood

Hi Emery! "Retirement" from being on the road. Yeah, it's
interesting that there is a little dip going down from the Zone 7 zone
into the county where Guthrie is, so it's uneven, to say the least. It
occurs to me that we usually visited the grandparents during good
weather, so my memory of the beautiful gardens must have been mainly
during those times.

Cheers,
Connie

Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Mel M Kelly

Play it safe and go to a local Greenhouse. Don't go the Wal-Mart route
where they start the plants in FL. and they don't care what zone they go
to. GOOD LUCK

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

On 2 Jan 2006 17:07:10 -0800
"Boxwood Studios" wrote:

[...]

If she is on the zone 6/7 border zone 6 plants should be no
problem. The smaller the zone number the colder.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 03-01-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:25:27 GMT
"Travis M." wrote:
[]
] If she is on the zone 6/7 border zone 6 plants should be no
] problem. The smaller the zone number the colder.
]

Yes, of course. Pardon the typo, and thanks for the
correction.

-E

Old 04-01-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dwayne

I am in Kansas, zone 5, and planted glads on the east side of the house as
annuals. They have come back for two years, and NO they weren't the hardy
glads. I would give it a try as though it was a zone 7.

I know some of the McBane family who came from Guthrie. We were in the
service together in 58 - 63. Then I lost track of him until about 9 years
ago. He lives in Sparks now and we drive past Guthrie at least once a year.
I also have a cousin that ropes out the big arena there.

Dwayne

Old 04-01-2006, 05:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
J Kolenovsky

Did Guthrie escape the fires?

Boxwood Studios wrote:
I'm going to retire soon, and I'm going home where I grew up, in
Guthrie. One of the things I want to do--besides teach (I'm a music
teacher)--is gardening. I remember how beautiful both sets of
grandparents' gardens were. I have been collecting seed catalogs for
this purpose.

Problem is, I can't figure out what growing zone Guthrie is in, whether
it's 7a or 6b, since there's a little bump in the chart, just above
Oklahoma City where Guthrie is. (In the Stokes catalog, for example.)

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Connie

--
J. Kolenovsky, 2003 Honorable Mention Award, Keep Houston Beautiful
τΏτ - http://www.celestialhabitats.com - environmental resource