Old 04-01-2006, 11:22 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jen

Default garden hand tools

My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for xmas, and I'm
not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5 different types). I've
always just stuck with a couple of favourites I prefer to use. But I
thought it would be useful to know about their specific uses. I've tried
googling, but nothing has really given me any clear ideas.

Jen

Old 04-01-2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

"Jen" wrote in message
My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for xmas, and I'm
not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5 different types). I've
always just stuck with a couple of favourites I prefer to use. But I
thought it would be useful to know about their specific uses. I've tried
googling, but nothing has really given me any clear ideas.

I think you will know what to do with them instinctivly. You can always
browse a catalog like Lee Valley Tools if you want to know what they are
called or what category they are in.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/index.aspx?c=

Old 05-01-2006, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

"Jen" wrote in message
My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for xmas,
and I'm not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5 different
types). I've always just stuck with a couple of favourites I prefer
to use. But I thought it would be useful to know about their
specific uses. I've tried googling, but nothing has really given me
any clear ideas.

http://www.sneeboerusa.com/products.cfm

This site will describe most of what she got, plus there may be one
that is almost straight out from the handle with a flat blade with a V
at the end for cutting dandelion roots and popping them out of the
ground.

Tom J

Old 05-01-2006, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Jen" wrote in message

My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for
xmas,
and I'm not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5
different
types). I've always just stuck with a couple of favourites I
prefer to use. But I thought it would be useful to know about
their specific uses. I've tried googling, but nothing has
really
given me any clear ideas.
Jen

......and you have not been clear at all either.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 05-01-2006, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning

"Jen" wrote:

My daughter just received a set of gardening hand tools for xmas, and I'm
not sure of the uses of each of them (there are 5 different types). I've
always just stuck with a couple of favourites I prefer to use. But I
thought it would be useful to know about their specific uses. I've tried
googling, but nothing has really given me any clear ideas.

Not knowing what you got, they could perhaps be:

Trowel - Slices through soil to dig holes for planting. (shovel)

Cultivator - Easily aerates soil around plants. Thins seedlings and
uproots weeds. (claw)

Planter - Neatly sized trowel for planting delicate seedlings and rows
of small flowers. (narrow shovel)

Fork - Perfect for simple edging and loosening soil around plants. (fork)

Narrow Weeder - Sized for tending window boxes and plants with thin,
delicate stems. (very narrow with V-shaped end for cutting roots)

Dibble - Forms perfect holes for planting bulbs and small plants.
(conical)

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...452&world_code
=3&category_code=35&subcategory_code=474&search_ty pe=subcategory&prodtemp
=t1

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman

Old 05-01-2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jen

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Jen" wrote:

[...]