Old 07-01-2006, 03:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood Studios

Default Question best, longest growing season in US

Hi: I'm curious about what area of the country is considered to have
the longest growing season and the best land to grow - what we used to
call a "truck garden" - fruit trees, vegetables and flowers? I'm
thinking somewhere in the south?

Thanks,
Connie

Old 07-01-2006, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi: I'm curious about what area of the country is considered to have
the longest growing season and the best land to grow - what we used to
call a "truck garden" - fruit trees, vegetables and flowers? I'm
thinking somewhere in the south?

Thanks,
Connie

Connie, I would have to say the best place for a 'truck' garden would have
to be south eastern texas, just inland enough to avoid any potential
tropical storms. Expect a winter climate zone of 8-9.

Others may disagree

Anthony B.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Boxwood Studios

Southeast Texas? Really? What cities?

Old 07-01-2006, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

I'm guessing some near-coastal areas of Southern California would be more
"usable" year-round than the deep south. Most spring cool weather crops
could still be grown there year round, and yet there's enough heat for
summer crops like beans and tomatoes. Flowers would be less susceptible to
driving rains and thunderstorms in summer, and to frost damage in winter.

Old 07-01-2006, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
BattMeals

Boxwood Studios wrote:
Hi: I'm curious about what area of the country is considered to have
the longest growing season and the best land to grow - what we used to
call a "truck garden" - fruit trees, vegetables and flowers? I'm
thinking somewhere in the south?

Thanks,
Connie

Salinas, CA. Only crops/trees that require a lot of heat or cold to
produce do not grow well here. I grow pretty much year-round, selecting
plants to match the season. I always have flowers of some sort growing.

The downside is that it is a very expensive place to live.

-matt
Old 07-01-2006, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Hawaii is in the west. Far west in the Pacific ocean.

Maybe he wants to start a truck farm in Brownsville, Texas with illegal
aliens picking fruits & veggies?