GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Over seeding ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/11041-over-seeding.html)

Me too. 19-03-2003 09:20 PM

Over seeding ???

Hi all, just wondering, I overseeded last week here in western NJ zone 6? I
think. My yard/lawn took a severe hit because of last summer's severe
drought, many bare patches/thinning etc. Anyway, I am assuming that I
should avoid using a fertilizer unless it's an organic pellitized one,
correct? What about pellitized lime? Would using that hinder new growth?

Thanks...

Phisherman 19-03-2003 10:44 PM

Over seeding ???

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:16:28 GMT, "Me too." wrote:

Hi all, just wondering, I overseeded last week here in western NJ zone 6? I
think. My yard/lawn took a severe hit because of last summer's severe
drought, many bare patches/thinning etc. Anyway, I am assuming that I
should avoid using a fertilizer unless it's an organic pellitized one,
correct? What about pellitized lime? Would using that hinder new growth?

Thanks...

Use a fertilizer with the word "Starter" in the title. Starter
fertilizer won't harm the seedlings, in fact, the seedlings need it.
Avoid weed killers and pre-emergence, at least for a few months. A
summer drought will kill the new seedlings, making fall overseeding a
better choice.