Old 20-03-2003, 12:20 AM
Darren

Default Deer resistant ground cover

I was looking through http://www.mydeergarden.com/ and I see they had Ajuga
(bugleweed) and Lamium and good deer resistant ground cover.

Does any one else have anything suggestions that are good deer resistant
ground covers. These two look ok, but I was thinking of something more
"green". I used to live in town where deer weren't a problem and we had a
lush soft green ground cover that looked like clovers. You couldn't really
walk on them because it wasn't a sturdy grass, but any 2 yr old that went
back there sure wanted to walk on them. I don't know what it was, but I
would like to have something nice, lush green.

Thanks
Darren

Old 20-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Phisherman

On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:13:10 -0800, "Darren"
wrote:

I was looking through http://www.mydeergarden.com/ and I see they had Ajuga
(bugleweed) and Lamium and good deer resistant ground cover.

Does any one else have anything suggestions that are good deer resistant
ground covers. These two look ok, but I was thinking of something more
"green". I used to live in town where deer weren't a problem and we had a
lush soft green ground cover that looked like clovers. You couldn't really
walk on them because it wasn't a sturdy grass, but any 2 yr old that went
back there sure wanted to walk on them. I don't know what it was, but I
would like to have something nice, lush green.

Thanks
Darren

We have a severe deer problem. The deer clipped back most of my
azaleas, so there won't be much bloom this year. They graze on the
front lawn (tall fescue) but that does not seem to hurt it. They ate
the mondo grass and English ivy. They have not touched the blue rug
juniper growing a sunny slope. And they have not touched the
pachysandra which is growing in a wooded area where the deer
frequently go.
Old 20-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Rusty

We had a herd of deer eating everything including holly, leyland cyprus,
all juniper
(even blue rug!) arborvitae etc. We couldn't walk on our sidewalk or lawn
because of all the poop. Finally we covered everything with netting and
they
have found another diner. It's so discouraging. I hope we can remove the
netting in the Spring when the deer can find other food. My husband is
threatening to put poison around. All that work for a beautiful landscaped
yard and in such a short time the deer devastate it. Rusty

Old 21-03-2003, 04:20 PM
DavesVideo

Rusty said:

We had a herd of deer eating everything including holly, leyland cyprus, ...

Finally we covered everything with netting and they have found another

diner.

We also have a severe deer problem. We have planted about 30 trees and each one
has a wire cage around. When the tree gets bigger it gets a new cage and the
old cage goes to a new smaller tree.

We also have a large area with hosta, day lillies, iris and other things that
deer think are delicious. The solution that is working well, is an electric
fence. It doesn't look too bad as it has a single strand of wire at a height of
about 3 ft. They could easily jump over it, so I think the reason it works is
that that single strand is hard to see and they have learned that they get
zapped when trying for our hostas.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave