Old 17-01-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Iceland Poppies Post-Bloom

I was given a half dozen 6" pots of Iceland Poppies as a gift this
Christmas. When I received them, they were full of blooms. While I
awaited the rain to stop long enough to plant them, most of the flowers
bloomed and all I have left are two or three stems with buds waiting to
open. My question is whether these plants will rebloom or is the show
over? If the flower show is indeed over, is there any point in
planting these plants in the garden?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Old 19-01-2006, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks Sockiescat, I appreciate the link.

-F

Old 22-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered User

Thanks Sockiescat, I appreciate the link.

-F

you are very welcome hope it helped some. sockiecat.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.gardens
frogfog

actually, i discovered, quite by accident, that poppy seeds are viable
FOREVER....even AFTER they've been "roasted" or baked atop bagels, breads,
sweets, etc.

if the seed is WHOLE, it WILL germinate. i bought the typical and CHEAP
poppy seed (white coloured) in an indian spice store in NYC in 1973 and
almost after that, we moved to another house, so the bag got tossed in with
a bunch of cooking accessories. the house we moved to wasn't large enough
to unpack ALL the boxes, so....yup, this box stayed unpacked with a bunch of
others until 1986, when we moved again to a larger house (by the bye, this
all happened in SL,UT).

this time, ALL the boxes were unpacked and when i found this bag of poppy
seed, i thought, "shoot {{that's the kind of expressions they use in
Sl,UT}}, these seeds are too old for anything."
but, with me being me, instead of tossing the bag into the garbage, i took
it outside and scattered the seed all over the garden, which at this
particular time was covered with snow.

next spring rolled around and, of course, i didn't know ANY of what was
planted there cuz we'd moved in winter, but i DID notice a bunch of teeny
white flowers popping up EVERYWHERE.....it took a while, but THEN!!!!
(LIGHTBULB) it hit me!!!
POPPING up .. EVERY PLACE i scattered the seeds.....why, shucks, they must
be POPPIES!!!!!!
sho' nuff---and they reseeded themselves every year we lived in that house
until the last year when all about i had in that back yard (it was terraced
cuz it was up in the hills) was white and pink crepe-papier looking poppies
and spearmint which the people before had planted.

made a nice colour arrangement though....and every late april, early may, i
had THE OFFICIAL "Kentucky Colonel" rep for utah show up and buy about 3 to
4 POUNDS of the spearmint for.....yup!! you guessed it: MINT JULEPS!! in
OFFICIAL Kentucky Derby Glasses (of whatever particular year it was)....so,
in addition to being paid for the spearmint (they KNEW it was organic cuz
they knew me), i also have three years of KENTUCKY DERBY GLASSES.
hrm...wonder if they're worth anything......IF i can find em. ;o}

anyways, to make a short story long, i stand here to say poppy seeds can be
AND ARE viable for a long, long time....and i HAVE picked black poppyseed
(those are the Papaver somniferum-opium poppyseed) off bread and bagels and
planted 'em and i got a great batch of annual opium poppies whose flowers
were about the size of a dinner plate.

it's the BEST seed on earth.
in all its forms, names, colours, and under any condition!!!!

i DID find the Papaver nudicaule (Icelandic poppies) grew better in the dry,
cooler weather conditions in SL,UT than here, in new hamster. hrm.
--
With Malus toward none, and Cherry-Trees toward all.

i dont know if this will help at all fleemo but here you go.
http://tinyurl.com/bc497
sockiescat.

--
sockiescat

Old 13-02-2006, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks for sharin' that tale, Frog. Interesting reading.

-Fleemo

[IMG] code is On

Permaculture in Iceland hr.oskar Permaculture 15 30-07-2012 08:19 PM
If you deadhead poppies will they bloom longer? doctoroe Gardening 4 29-05-2007 05:39 PM
Iceland flora: N.American species Mike Lyle Plant Science 0 15-12-2006 11:59 AM
when do poppies bloom? kate Gardening 2 11-05-2006 05:32 AM
Post Your Three Favorite Movies - I Post Facts About You The Magnficent Bastard Gardening 275 10-03-2004 01:47 AM