Old 29-01-2006, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
madgardener

Default Death of Christopher Lloyd

"Sacha" wrote in message
From the BBC's web site:
"Writer and gardener dies aged 84
Writer and gardener Christopher Lloyd has died just months after launching
£3m campaign to preserve the house and garden to which he devoted his
life.
Mr Lloyd, who was 84, died in hospital in Hastings, East Sussex on Friday.
He had a stroke after surgery on his leg, his great nephew Chris Lloyd
said.
Great Dixter, at Northiam, near Rye has been in the Lloyd family since
1910
and Mr Lloyd wanted to ensure it survived.
He set up the Great Dixter Charitable Trust to take over when he died. "
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

marilyn the madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking
English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee (whose own garden reflects a diversity
as well)

Old 29-01-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Sacha

On 29/1/06 7:00, in article , "madgardener"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
From the BBC's web site:
[...]

From what I can see, CL didn't like any kind of 'formulaic' gardening, or
approach to gardening. He was very scathing about the 'instant' garden tv
programmes and that sort of approach to gardening. He wrote something
recently about the Trust needing about millions which he didn't go into
detail about, so I don't know whether he actually owned it, or not. On
another occasion, he said that he couldn't think of anything more awful than
the place falling into the hands of the National Trust!
I imagine Felix will remain there, looking after and guiding things - I
certainly hope so!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk