Old 29-01-2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Which early tomato?

I've never grown any of the so-called "early" tomatoes, but my current
garden would be a good place for one of them. I'm in zone 5, upstate NY. I'm
interested in recommended varieties from anyone who's had consistently good
results from certain varieties.

Old 29-01-2006, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wild Bill

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I've never grown any of the so-called "early" tomatoes, but my current
garden would be a good place for one of them. I'm in zone 5, upstate NY.
I'm interested in recommended varieties from anyone who's had consistently
good results from certain varieties.

Out here in the wilds of Washington State, zone 6, the earliest I can coax a
tomato to ripen is around July 8 each year. Stupice and Oregon Spring are
the best early performers for me. Tomato Grower's Supply has a really good
selection of early tomatoes.

Regards,
Bill

Old 29-01-2006, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Marrs

Territorial Seed Company out of Oregon has many seeds especially grown for
cool weather. It has the best overall catalog for overall information bar
none. Check it out : http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/index.cfm

JEM

Old 29-01-2006, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wild Bill

"Jim Marrs" wrote in message
Territorial Seed Company out of Oregon has many seeds especially grown for
cool weather. It has the best overall catalog for overall information bar
none. Check it out : http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/index.cfm

Yes, Territorial is excellent, and their service is lightning fast as well.
Johnny's is right up there with Territorial in the information department,
however. For reasonalbly priced seed along with great service, it's hard to
beat Pinetree!

Regards,
Bill

JEM

Old 30-01-2006, 12:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Butzmark

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 12:39:16 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I've never grown any of the so-called "early" tomatoes, but my current
garden would be a good place for one of them. I'm in zone 5, upstate NY. I'm
interested in recommended varieties from anyone who's had consistently good
results from certain varieties.

I've tried plenty of others but have to go with Early Girl. They
produce early and late in the season (I'm in 5 too) and are good
tasting.

Old 30-01-2006, 04:12 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jim Marrs

I agree that Johnnys is also good. I just planted Beaver lodge tomato seed
from Territorial. It is very vigorus and saw light after only 5 days. It is
the newest tomato from Territorial. So far so good.
JEM

"Wild Bill" wrote in message
news

Old 30-01-2006, 11:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz

Doug Kanter said:

I've never grown any of the so-called "early" tomatoes, but my current
garden would be a good place for one of them. I'm in zone 5, upstate NY.
I'm interested in recommended varieties from anyone who's had
consistently good results from certain varieties.

I grew Stupice for a while. It is very early and has an excellent flavor.
But I replaced it with Burpee's 4th of July. In a head-to-head taste
comparison, 4th of July was just about the equal of Stupice. (Some
tasters couldn't tel them apart.) Both varieties startare equally early.
Where 4th of July has the advantage, though, in productivity all summer
long. Stupice tended to fade off for me. Plus Stupice has a tendency
to ripen unevenly (green shoulders) which 4th of July doesn't have.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 30-01-2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
Doug Kanter said:

I've never grown any of the so-called "early" tomatoes, but my current
garden would be a good place for one of them. I'm in zone 5, upstate NY.
I'm interested in recommended varieties from anyone who's had
consistently good results from certain varieties.

I grew Stupice for a while. It is very early and has an excellent flavor.
But I replaced it with Burpee's 4th of July. In a head-to-head taste
comparison, 4th of July was just about the equal of Stupice. (Some
tasters couldn't tel them apart.) Both varieties startare equally early.
Where 4th of July has the advantage, though, in productivity all summer
long. Stupice tended to fade off for me. Plus Stupice has a tendency
to ripen unevenly (green shoulders) which 4th of July doesn't have.

(attributed to Don Marti)

Thank you all for your recommendations. I'll probably end up trying 3
varieties and seeing which one tastes best to me. The trend toward low acid
tomatoes is sort of weird. What's the point of growing a tomato if it hasn't
got some of that tartness?