Old 31-01-2006, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tex John

Default Rain Garderns on BBC: Everyone should have one

As an environmental scientist for a wetlands consultant firm in Houston, I
thought this article was great and worth passing on.

A bit of proof of what us wetland guys have been saying for decades...

John

Old 31-01-2006, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Thank you for passing this great article along.
I agree with what you are saying I only wish there was a better
understanding among most people. I know that some people have no idea
about such things.
If only more people knew about the hazzards of pollution.
Do you have a link or a site that give instructions on how to design a
rain garden, I would be interested in having one of my own.
Chuckie in the Frozen North, Zone 5

Old 31-01-2006, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Koi-lo

"Chuckie" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you for passing this great article along.
I agree with what you are saying I only wish there was a better
understanding among most people. I know that some people have no idea
about such things.
If only more people knew about the hazzards of pollution.
Do you have a link or a site that give instructions on how to design a
rain garden?

Google is your friend
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/wm/nps/rg/

Give it a wack.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tex John

Do you have a link or a site that give instructions on how to design a
rain garden, I would be interested in having one of my own.

In addition to that link, I moved into this house a few years ago and the
back corner of the lot was under water often enough that St Augustine
wouldn't grow there. Over time, I poured a few bags of neighbor's raked up
tree leaves in for compost-in-place, then planted stuff my parents gave me
or I found tossed in the garbage: a tiny oleander that is now 6' tall, some
of these 6' elephant ears (once they get going, use a shovel to cut all the
roots 12" around the base and new plants will sprout), different ivy
cuttings from potted plants just to see what would grow.

If you have a low spot, toss in water tolerant plants and see what lives!
I'm in Houston so I tend to only toss in tropicals that can freeze back to
the ground. Even a 2' piece of philodendron stalk someone trimmed and threw
away.

You can get started without having to know which flowers to plant for what
seasons and your gardening zone...plant what you have and worry about
upgrading it later. By the end of the summer, you should know where the edge
is well enough if you want to put in a rock border or somesuch.

John

Old 02-02-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Timothy

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:11:48 +0000, Tex John wrote:

As an environmental scientist for a wetlands consultant firm in Houston,
I thought this article was great and worth passing on.

A bit of proof of what us wetland guys have been saying for decades...

John

We have a bunch of these here in Bellingham, Washington. I've heard them
reffered to them as "bioretention" mostly, but I gather that they are one
in the same.
All new commercial construction here is fully responsible for
their run off. All new commercial construction have bioretention, dry
wells of these "filter boxes" (for a lack of a better word}.

These filter boxes are generaly found in large parking lots. These are
just large parking strips planted with trees and shrubs. The way they work
is run off is directed to the "box", the water filters down through layers
of soil, rock, sand, fabric and charcoal. Part way down is a pipe that
connects to the storm drain and after the box fills most of the way with
water, the over flow goes to the drain. Otherwise the box fills and the
trees consume the water over time.

We also have porous concrete projects poping up here and there. Porous
concrete is way cool stuff and it costs just the same as regular concrete,
but hte install labor costs are much lower.

http://www.uvm.edu/~ran/ran/toolbox/bmp/bellingham.php

http://www.thcahill.com/pconcrete.html

--
http://resources.ywgc.com

Old 02-02-2006, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Claire Petersky

"Timothy" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 15:11:48 +0000, Tex John wrote:

As an environmental scientist for a wetlands consultant firm in Houston,
I thought this article was great and worth passing on.

A bit of proof of what us wetland guys have been saying for decades...

We have a bunch of these here in Bellingham, Washington. I've heard them
refered to them as "bioretention" mostly, but I gather that they are one
in the same.

"Bioswale" is the term thrown around here. The City of Seattle re-did a
street up in the northend as a demonstration project to show how it could be
done remedially on a large-scale in a residential neighborhood. I tried to
find pictures on the web, but the best I seem to have found is a transcript
of a radio interview.
(http://www.loe.org/shows/shows.htm?p...00007#feature6)

--
Warm Regards,