Old 20-03-2003, 11:08 PM
kate

Default Aloe vera - too soon to put outside?

The temperatures are high 60's-70's by day, high 40's-50's by night so I
put my Aloe plants back in the spot they enjoyed last year but they're
looking pale and not real happy. Do they need to be re-introduced to the
great outdoors gradually? (These are the first potted plants I've had in
years.) Any advice is appreciated.

Kate
Nashville TN Zone 6 something, where the peach trees are in bloom
Old 21-03-2003, 12:08 AM
Cereoid+10+

If it is well past the last frost date in your area, go ahead and move it
outdoors. If not, don't rush things.

A few warm days does not mean it is already summer. Have the trees leafed
out yet?

Old 21-03-2003, 12:32 AM
kate

Cereoid+10+ wrote:

If it is well past the last frost date in your area, go ahead and move it
outdoors. If not, don't rush things.

A few warm days does not mean it is already summer. Have the trees leafed
out yet?

The leafing out is just beginning. 3 out of 5 years we'll get a frost to
kill all the blossoms so no peaches, but I would bring them back in if
the temperature dropped into the 30's. (I wasn't sure they would survive
inside - very little sun, but 2 plants became 14 so everyone got an aloe
plant for Christmas.)

Thanks for the advice.

Old 21-03-2003, 01:08 AM
jammer

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:43:25 -0600, kate
wrote:

The leafing out is just beginning. 3 out of 5 years we'll get a frost to
kill all the blossoms so no peaches, but I would bring them back in if
the temperature dropped into the 30's. (I wasn't sure they would survive
inside - very little sun, but 2 plants became 14 so everyone got an aloe
plant for Christmas.)

Thanks for the advice.

Just don't over water the aloe. It will turn t mush. I still haven't
gotten over losing mine because it was an off shoot from my mother's
old plant.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 21-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Anna Merchant

If an aloe starts to turn to mush from over watering, can it be saved ? Mine
is a bit mushy and very pale looking. Will a good couple of weeks of sun
help ? I'm in New Zealand, so its starting to go into autumn here. Min 15c
Max 23c these days.
--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Old 21-03-2003, 02:32 AM
jammer

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:04:39 +1200, "Anna Merchant"
wrote:

If an aloe starts to turn to mush from over watering, can it be saved ? Mine
is a bit mushy and very pale looking. Will a good couple of weeks of sun
help ? I'm in New Zealand, so its starting to go into autumn here. Min 15c
Max 23c these days.

Mine never came back....

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 21-03-2003, 02:44 AM
Phisherman

wrote:

If an aloe starts to turn to mush from over watering, can it be saved ? Mine
is a bit mushy and very pale looking. Will a good couple of weeks of sun
help ? I'm in New Zealand, so its starting to go into autumn here. Min 15c
Max 23c these days.

Take it out of the pot, leave it out of the pot (bright light or
morning sun is good) to allow it to dry out for a couple weeks. Pot
up using cactus mix potting soil and again do not water for two weeks,
then water once a month during the winter season. If you can
separate the plant, all the better.
Old 21-03-2003, 03:32 AM
jammer

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:33:23 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Take it out of the pot, leave it out of the pot (bright light or
morning sun is good) to allow it to dry out for a couple weeks. Pot
up using cactus mix potting soil and again do not water for two weeks,
then water once a month during the winter season. If you can
separate the plant, all the better.

It didnt work

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 21-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Alice Gamewell

I did a little research for you. Aloe Vera should be moved inside if the
temperatures dip below 50 degress. Hope this helps. All plants need to be
slowly aclimated to the outside after spending winter inside.
Alice

Old 21-03-2003, 04:08 AM
Alice Gamewell

I did a little research for you. Aloe Vera should be moved inside if the
temperatures dip below 50 degress. Hope this helps. Most plants need to be

Old 21-03-2003, 08:44 AM
Anna Merchant

Out of the pot, as in, so it isnt potted at all, and roots are exposed to
light and will dry out ?

Old 21-03-2003, 07:56 PM
kate

Alice Gamewell wrote:

I did a little research for you. Aloe Vera should be moved inside if the
temperatures dip below 50 degress. Hope this helps. All plants need to be
slowly aclimated to the outside after spending winter inside.
Alice

Thanks, Alice - I brought them back in.

Kate

Old 22-03-2003, 02:56 AM
animaux

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:33:12 -0600, kate wrote:

The temperatures are high 60's-70's by day, high 40's-50's by night so I
put my Aloe plants back in the spot they enjoyed last year but they're
looking pale and not real happy. Do they need to be re-introduced to the
great outdoors gradually? (These are the first potted plants I've had in
years.) Any advice is appreciated.

Kate
Nashville TN Zone 6 something, where the peach trees are in bloom

Zone 6? No, you shouldn't put it out yet unless it's in a pot and you can bring it
back in. You are not close to being near last frost date.
Old 22-03-2003, 03:08 AM
animaux

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:43:25 -0600, kate wrote:

The leafing out is just beginning. 3 out of 5 years we'll get a frost to
kill all the blossoms so no peaches, but I would bring them back in if
the temperature dropped into the 30's. (I wasn't sure they would survive
inside - very little sun, but 2 plants became 14 so everyone got an aloe
plant for Christmas.)

You can help get some peaches by choosing trees which have longer chill hour
requirements. They will bloom later. In Texas where I live I have 'Dixieland' which
has 400 chill hours. Chill hours is the amount of hours the temperature is under 45
degrees.
Old 22-03-2003, 03:44 PM
kate

animaux wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:33:12 -0600, kate wrote:

The temperatures are high 60's-70's by day, high 40's-50's by night so I
put my Aloe plants back in the spot they enjoyed last year but they're
looking pale and not real happy. Do they need to be re-introduced to the
great outdoors gradually? (These are the first potted plants I've had in
years.) Any advice is appreciated.

Kate
Nashville TN Zone 6 something, where the peach trees are in bloom

Zone 6? No, you shouldn't put it out yet unless it's in a pot and you can bring it
back in. You are not close to being near last frost date.

They're potted and back inside and looking better already.

[IMG] code is On

How soon is too soon? General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 4 05-03-2007 06:39 PM
Aloe Vera Plants jammer Plant Biology 13 13-11-2005 10:07 PM
how to cook Aloe vera? John Savage Australia 13 07-07-2003 06:03 PM
Aloe Vera Plants rusty Plant Biology 13 05-04-2003 04:32 PM
Preserving Aloe Vera? Nicholas J Ruggiero Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 04:32 PM