GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   number of pepper plants for good pollination (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/111272-number-pepper-plants-good-pollination.html)

cJ 04-02-2006 03:50 PM

number of pepper plants for good pollination

I'm getting some spring fever and thinking about my garden for this year. I
have limited space (three 4x8 raised beds) and like to have variety.

I like to grow peppers and in the past have planted varieties in groups of 6
plants. This yields more peppers than I need so I'd like to reduce the
number of plants for each type.

From my research, it looks like peppers in general both self pollinate and
cross pollinate. If I planted my peppers in groups of 3, should I still
expect good yields from each plant? Is there a rule of thumb for how many
plants are the minimum for good pollination?

Thanks

zxcvbob 05-02-2006 02:50 AM

cJ wrote:
I'm getting some spring fever and thinking about my garden for this year. I
have limited space (three 4x8 raised beds) and like to have variety.

I like to grow peppers and in the past have planted varieties in groups of 6
plants. This yields more peppers than I need so I'd like to reduce the
number of plants for each type.

From my research, it looks like peppers in general both self pollinate and
cross pollinate. If I planted my peppers in groups of 3, should I still
expect good yields from each plant? Is there a rule of thumb for how many
plants are the minimum for good pollination?

Thanks

At least one. :-)

Seriously, don't worry about it. I've gotten heavy crops of peppers
from 2 or 3 plants in a short row, and good crops from a single isolated
pepper plant as long as it was planted outside where wind and insects
could do their jobs.

Bob