Old 05-02-2006, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
Mark Anderson

Default Manure on lawns

The other day I watched an episode of Magnum P.I., a television series
that ran in the very early 80s. Magnum P.I. was based in Hawaii. Not
to get into any specifics but in this episode Higgens had ordered a
pallet of dried manure to place on the lawn to increase nitrogen (as he
claimed in the show). At the end of the show they show him shoveling
this manure and throwing it right onto the lawn.

Does anyone do this and is this better than the standard weed and feed
that you get at the local big box store? I'm a bit curious as to the
properties of manure since I'm thinking of experimenting with it as part
of my soil mixture in my container garden this year but I don't want to
add too much.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net
[...]

Manure is better than weed-n-feed.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 05-02-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Wolf Kirchmeir

Travis M. wrote:
"Mark Anderson" wrote in message
.net

The other day I watched an episode of Magnum P.I., a television
series that ran in the very early 80s. Magnum P.I. was based in
Hawaii. Not to get into any specifics but in this episode Higgens
had ordered a pallet of dried manure to place on the lawn to
increase nitrogen (as he claimed in the show). At the end of the
show they show him shoveling this manure and throwing it right onto
the lawn.

Does anyone do this and is this better than the standard weed and
feed that you get at the local big box store? I'm a bit curious
as to the properties of manure since I'm thinking of experimenting
with it as part of my soil mixture in my container garden this year
but I don't want to add too much.

Manure is better than weed-n-feed.

Just make sure it's well rotted, else those seeds that need to pass
through the cow's gut to sprout will come up all over your lawn.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 01:18:28 -0600, Mark Anderson
wrote:

The other day I watched an episode of Magnum P.I., a television series
that ran in the very early 80s. Magnum P.I. was based in Hawaii. Not
to get into any specifics but in this episode Higgens had ordered a
pallet of dried manure to place on the lawn to increase nitrogen (as he
claimed in the show). At the end of the show they show him shoveling
this manure and throwing it right onto the lawn.

Does anyone do this and is this better than the standard weed and feed
that you get at the local big box store? I'm a bit curious as to the
properties of manure since I'm thinking of experimenting with it as part
of my soil mixture in my container garden this year but I don't want to
add too much.

I tried this ONCE. Never again. I used "mushroom compost" which is
rotted horse manure used to grow mushrooms. I introduced a lot of
weeds into my lawn that took two years to eradicate. Processed
palletized manure is great, if you can find it. I used palletized
chicken manure on my lawn with excellent results, but I can not find
it for sale anymore. I do use Milorganite (processed sewage) on my
lawns.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:18 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

I hear there are some health concerns with Milorganite. It is human fecal
material.
I think it is banned in some states. I never bought the stuff, but I
understand the
sellers refuse to list on the bag exactly where this material comes from.

Sherwin D.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
presley

I think the reason it is banned in some states is because the concentration
of heavy metals (cadmium) and so forth, is too high for any fertilizer that
might be used for growing vegetables or fruit. Sewage treatment plants are
not set up to separate out the heavy metals which are part of the modern
industrial world - many of which are toxic if they reach the food supply.
Otherwise, treated human waste should be no more dangerous than any other
animal waste.( Not something that you'd spread with your bare hands and then
cook dinner without washing, I hasten to add.......lol.)Untreated human
waste, on the other hand, could transmit various kinds of bacteria,
parasites, and viruses, including hepatitis, amoebas, etc.
"sherwindu" wrote in message
I hear there are some health concerns with Milorganite. It is human fecal
material.
I think it is banned in some states. On Sun, 5 Feb

Old 06-02-2006, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Warren

sherwindu wrote:
I hear there are some health concerns with Milorganite. It is human fecal
material.
I think it is banned in some states. I never bought the stuff, but I
understand the
sellers refuse to list on the bag exactly where this material comes from.

It comes from the Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewage District's Jones Island
sewer treatment plant. For 35 years I was a proud contributor to it's raw
materials.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Compare and buy TaxCut and TurboTax Softwa
http://www.holzemville.com/taxes/

Old 07-02-2006, 07:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
sherwindu

You can be proud of your contribution, but Milwaukee occasionally dumps their
raw untreated sewage into Lake Michigan. I fish and boat out of Racine
Wisconsin
just south of Milwuakee, so I'm not happy with your donation.

Sherwin D.

Old 27-02-2006, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens
George.com

"Wolf Kirchmeir" wrote in message
Travis M. wrote:
[...]

also if it is fresh it will very probably burn your grass

rob

Old 27-02-2006, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chuckie

Dry chicken manure is very effective it will make the grass greener.
It will also make your yard have a very special odor for a while and
your neighbors may complain.

Old 28-02-2006, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Starlord

I've used old SM for ages, when I ran my lawn service I'd give lawns a good
dose of it, mind you, not coving the grass totaly, but a good amount and
then a good soaking of water. Some lawns where the soil was all but used up
would come back to life with a nice lawn starting up again. Now out here in
the desert where I live, I use it to feed my Iris and my I.Canna and just
about anything else I grow.

What's funny about that show, you can only get steer at the big box stores
(Eagle hardware,etc.) because the pineapple companys have all rights to that
SM that comes from the island based farms. So what people buy over there
comes from the mainland.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
Astronomy Net Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/astronomy_net
In Garden Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/ingarden
Blast Off Online Gift Shop
http://www.cafepress.com/starlords

Travis M. wrote:
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 03:28 AM
Lawns & God Bruce Yates Gardening 13 19-06-2003 12:56 AM
Lawns - Mind your own business - and it does [email protected] United Kingdom 2 14-03-2003 09:53 AM
Field Woodrush in Lawns Derek Carver United Kingdom 3 27-01-2003 01:02 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 07:51 AM