Old 05-02-2006, 08:44 AM posted to rec.gardens
Johan Larson

Default interior hedge

Hi, folks. I hope I'm dropping into the right newsgroup with this question.

I have an apartment near San Francisco with a big south-facing window. This
window is on the first floor, so everyone on the street can see right in
unless I cover the window somehow. I would like to do so by creating a sort
of interior hedge: a row of tall plants in pots next to the window on the
inside. Ideally, the hedge would be about eight inches thick, and sort of
semi-permeable to light and prying eyes.

What would be appropriate to grow for this purpose? I've looked around a
bit, and bamboo looks quite nice, and it is both fast-growing and hardy
even in the hands of a neophyte.

--
Johan Larson Daly City, California
Old 05-02-2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.gardens
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Johan Larson johan0larson8comcast0net contains these words:

Hi, folks. I hope I'm dropping into the right newsgroup with this question.

I have an apartment near San Francisco with a big south-facing window. This
window is on the first floor, so everyone on the street can see right in
unless I cover the window somehow. I would like to do so by creating a sort
of interior hedge: a row of tall plants in pots next to the window on the
inside. Ideally, the hedge would be about eight inches thick, and sort of
semi-permeable to light and prying eyes.

I once had a kitchen window that looked onto the street, with a big
window and wide windowsill inside. On the windowsill, I had a long row
of posts of sanseveria (mother-in-law's tongue)..the one with tall
narrow leaves. From the top of the widow, I hung pots of spider plant.
Between the spears reaching up and the trails tumbling down, it made a
beautiful green privacy screen. (Also, I could easily move it all to get
to the window glass occasionally for cleaning).

The only problem was that its also looked stunning from the street
outside, so good that people used to cross the street to come and stand
outside the window admiring it....

Janet
Old 07-02-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Johan Larson

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Johan Larson johan0larson8comcast0net contains these words:
I have an apartment near San Francisco with a big south-facing
window. This window is on the first floor, so everyone on the street
can see right in unless I cover the window somehow. I would like to
do so by creating a sort of interior hedge: a row of tall plants in
pots next to the window on the inside.

I once had a kitchen window that looked onto the street, with a big
window and wide windowsill inside. On the windowsill, I had a long row
of posts of sanseveria (mother-in-law's tongue)..the one with tall
narrow leaves. From the top of the widow, I hung pots of spider
plant. Between the spears reaching up and the trails tumbling down, it
made a beautiful green privacy screen.

Sanseveria is a very popular variety, but it's not to my tastes. With its
leaves like upright swords, it's much too severe. Spider plants are nice,
though.

Johan Larson

[IMG] code is On

interior pond problems Angrie.Woman Ponds 0 12-03-2005 05:43 PM
interior pond Wylie Wilde Gardening 4 12-03-2005 05:32 PM
"CULTURE OF FEAR" at US Interior Department remove munged Gardening 6 19-09-2004 06:13 PM
Blue Spruce browning, dropping interior needles.. paslaz Gardening 5 18-10-2003 05:02 AM
Interior Plantscaping Survey [email protected] Plant Biology 0 01-08-2003 11:38 PM