Old 05-02-2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Anita

Default Unknown plant names

I just bought some beautiful houseplants from a store but unfortunately
there are no care instructions, not even the names of the plants! Any
advice on how to find out the names of these plants quickly and easily?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

"Anita" wrote in message
I just bought some beautiful houseplants from a store but unfortunately
there are no care instructions, not even the names of the plants! Any
advice on how to find out the names of these plants quickly and easily?

Got a digital camera? Post some pictures online at a site like
www.webshots.com, post the link here so we can see them, and maybe we can
help.

Your other option is to hit the library and take out some houseplant books.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens
Anita

Thanks for the advice, Doug. I will try the digital photo route first I
think. Though I really love books and the library, I kinda cringe at
the thought of having no success after poring over stacks of books.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Go to your local library and look for them in a book with illustrations of
indoor plants.

If you get your own library card, you might even be able to take the books
home with you!!!!

Old 06-02-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

What makes you think you have anything rare or difficult to identify? The
odd are you have very commonplace stuff.

Don't be such a lazy sod and get off your fat tookus and go to the library.
Get your mother to drive you there if necessary.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

I'm going to take a guess and say that if the plant wasn't labeled, you got
it at a supermarket or one of the big home centers like Lowe's or Home
Despot. If I'm correct, those places do not sell things so exotic that you
won't be able to find them easily in a book. And, did the plants at least
have stickers with UPC codes that scanned at the register? Did they have the
names of the growers?

If you're going to continue with this nasty habit of collecting plants, head
to www.powells.com, a great place for used books. See if you can find a copy
of "Crocket's Indoor Garden". The book's ancient (early 1970s ?), but very
informative. Not much has changed since then in terms of the indoor plants
seen in stores, so the book will still be useful.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer

You can also check out the many free online databases of plant images.
One convenient listing of these databases by state or region is at
www.Ergonica.com. This will also give you an orientation on the way
plants are classified. The more you learn about plants, the more you
will enjoy them.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dah

Anita wrote:
I just bought some beautiful houseplants from a store but unfortunately
there are no care instructions, not even the names of the plants! Any
advice on how to find out the names of these plants quickly and easily?

Take a trip to another store or nursery that does have tags on plants.
Take yours along in the car -- they'll enjoy the ride. You can nip in
and out of the store to compare.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Cereus-validus-...........

Yeah sure, Dah.

Maybe you can drive her around in your car to do it!!!!

There probaby isn't any such a place anymore nowadays anyway. So you might
be in for a very long drive!!! Be sure to take frequent rest stops along the
way and bring plenty of money for gasoline!!!!!!

"Dah" wrote in message
news

Old 07-02-2006, 03:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Anita" wrote in message
I just bought some beautiful houseplants from a store but
unfortunately there are no care instructions, not even the
names
of the plants! Any advice on how to find out the names of
these
plants quickly and easily?

Got a digital camera? Post some pictures online at a site like
www.webshots.com, post the link here so we can see them, and
maybe
we can help.

Your other option is to hit the library and take out some
houseplant books.

Or you could post the pix in "alt.binaries.pictures.gardens".

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5