GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   where can I get evening primrose flowers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/11254-re-where-can-i-get-evening-primrose-flowers.html)

Tsu Dho Nimh 22-03-2003 01:56 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

(dennis) wrote:

I am a photographer and I'm trying to find some evening primrose
flowers for a shot. Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference
between evening primrose and the yellow wild primrose I've just seen
growing in the hedgerows in Devon. Or even tell me where I can get
hold of some evening primrose flower heads in the uk. It's just the
flower heads I'm interested in

Species?

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

dennis 24-03-2003 01:20 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

What?????
Please help
I'm trying to find some evening primrose flowers for a shot

Erin 24-03-2003 02:32 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

walmart/home depot/any decent garden shop should have them in abundance
right now.
"dennis" wrote in message
om...
What?????
Please help
I'm trying to find some evening primrose flowers for a shot

Pam 24-03-2003 03:44 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

dennis wrote:

What?????
Please help
I'm trying to find some evening primrose flowers for a shot

They are not in season at this time of year. They bloom throughout the
summer in most parts of the country, but in March, the plants are barely
even out of dormancy.

Pam 24-03-2003 03:44 PM

Erin wrote:

walmart/home depot/any decent garden shop should have them in abundance
right now.
"dennis" wrote in message
om...
What?????
Please help
I'm trying to find some evening primrose flowers for a shot

He was asking for evening primrose flowers (Oenothera), not English
primrose (Primula). You'll have a hard time finding them in flower anywhere
in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

Vox Humana 24-03-2003 06:08 PM

"Pam" wrote in message

Erin wrote:

walmart/home depot/any decent garden shop should have them in abundance
right now.
"dennis" wrote in message
om...
What?????
Please help
I'm trying to find some evening primrose flowers for a shot

He was asking for evening primrose flowers (Oenothera), not English
primrose (Primula). You'll have a hard time finding them in flower

anywhere
in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

I would add that if you can find someone who planted Oenothera, they are
probably begging people to take it. Someone gave me some a few years ago
and each spring I have to remove literally piles of it from my beds. It
spreads rapidly by runners and self-seeds. Each springs I find a solid matt
of the stuff in my beds. I have the yellow variety which does not bloom all
summer in my zone 6 garden. It blooms for about two to three weeks starting
in June. I started to clean out my beds yesterday and was thinking that I
have exhausted my takers of the evening primrose. If anyone in the
Cincinnati area wants any I would be glad to give them some.

dennis 25-03-2003 06:56 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

He was asking for evening primrose flowers (), not English
primrose (). You'll have a hard time finding them in flower anywhere
in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

Thanks, but is there a big difference visually between Oenothera and Primula

dennis 25-03-2003 06:56 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

I'm in the uk!

dennis 25-03-2003 06:56 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

all I need to know now is
Is there a big difference visually in the flower heads?
I'm a photographer not a gardener.

Janet Baraclough 25-03-2003 10:20 PM

where can I get evening primrose flowers

The message
from (dennis) contains these words:

He was asking for evening primrose flowers (), not English
primrose (). You'll have a hard time finding them in flower anywhere
in the northern hemisphere at this time of year.

Thanks, but is there a big difference visually between Oenothera and Primula

Well yes. Not dissimilar from that between a red skateboard and a
London bus.

Janet