Old 22-03-2003, 04:32 PM
nobody

Default Holly bush doesn't look too well

Hi folks:

We live in northern New Jersey, where there has been a huge amount of
snow and ice. I used only calcium chloride on the walk adjacent to a
holly bush, but it's possible that the lawn people who come to take care
of snow removal might have also used rock salt. We notice that the
holly bush appears to be dying, shedding lots of leaves and very pale.
Anything to be done for it short of replacement, and if so, how should I
remediate the soil?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Old 22-03-2003, 06:08 PM
Cereoid+10+

No wonder. Calcium chloride is commonly used as a drying agent and is far
worse on plants than sodium chloride. The chemical attracts water away from
plant roots.

tt.net...

Old 23-03-2003, 01:08 AM
Marley1372

2 things: calcium chloride is much more damaging to plants than rock salt.
Sodium chloride(salt) can easily be leached away from the soil with water.
Calcium chloride can not. Also, your holly will be much happier if you stop
calling it a bush and refer to it as a shrub.

Toad
Old 23-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Mike Prager

wrote:

We live in northern New Jersey, where there has been a huge amount of
snow and ice. I used only calcium chloride on the walk adjacent to a
holly bush, but it's possible that the lawn people who come to take care
of snow removal might have also used rock salt.

After the snow is shoveled or blown away, consider using only
sand on the walk.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove symbols from email address to reply.)