Old 23-03-2003, 04:44 AM
Lou Minatti

Default Holes bored in a Bradford pear tree

Anyone know what critter bored these holes? They're not deep, perhaps
as deep as a pencil eraser.

http://www.watchingyou.com/treeholes.jpg

This is a Bradford pear. I'm in Houston. I took the picture back in
January, and I looked today and the tree is no worse for the wear. In
fact, it's just about fully leafed-out, putting on lots of new growth.
But the holes are still there. I didn't notice the boring on any of my
other trees, just this one. Thanks.
Old 23-03-2003, 05:20 AM
Anonymo421

http://www.watchingyou.com/treeholes.jpg

This is a Bradford pear. I'm in Houston. I took the picture back in
January, and I looked today and the tree is no worse for the wear. In
fact, it's just about fully leafed-out, putting on lots of new growth.
But the holes are still there. I didn't notice the boring on any of my
other trees, just this one. Thanks.

Woodpecker.

--
Bugger off, Chirac.
Old 23-03-2003, 05:56 AM
DGiunti

Lou Minatti writes:

Anyone know what critter bored these holes? They're not deep, perhaps
as deep as a pencil eraser.

http://www.watchingyou.com/treeholes.jpg

This is a Bradford pear. I'm in Houston. I took the picture back in
January, and I looked today and the tree is no worse for the wear. In
fact, it's just about fully leafed-out, putting on lots of new growth.
But the holes are still there. I didn't notice the boring on any of my
other trees, just this one. Thanks.

Your yard may have been the scene of a Woody WoodPecker cartoon filming, and
you just did not know it. Most of the time the WPs are exploring for grubs.
Sometimes you need to patch the holes, and sometimes you don't. You are not
getting any sap ouze or discoloration around the holes. Most likely they did
not find anything of interest and just flew away.

Some people can differentiate WP species by their handiwork. A birder from
your area may have more info.

David Giunti email: unity
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK
http://www.web-gallery.co.uk
Old 23-03-2003, 12:32 PM
SugarChile

At a guess, it's the work of a yellow bellied sapsucker. It looks like it
has healed over just fine, and is not cause for alarm.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

om...

Old 23-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Iris Cohen

Anyone know what critter bored these holes?

I think those are from a nuthatch or woodpecker, looking for insects. Keep on
the lookout for borers, which will make fewer, but deep holes.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 23-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

(Lou Minatti) wrote:

Anyone know what critter bored these holes? They're not deep, perhaps
as deep as a pencil eraser.

http://www.watchingyou.com/treeholes.jpg

This is a Bradford pear. I'm in Houston. I took the picture back in
January, and I looked today and the tree is no worse for the wear. In
fact, it's just about fully leafed-out, putting on lots of new growth.
But the holes are still there. I didn't notice the boring on any of my
other trees, just this one.

Woodpecker, sapsucker, or flicker ... they drink the sap and/or
are after bugs under the bark and bugs attracted to the sap.

They'll heal over if you do nothing.

One (just one) of my backyard mesquites is very attractive to
these birds. They hammer it full of holes, and it's thriving.
My thought is that is has better-tasting sap than the others.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both