Old 24-03-2003, 08:32 PM
jammer

Default Young tomato plants/ONE UPSIDE DOWN

Just for giggles, i hung a bucket from a tree, made a whole in the
bottom, layed newspaper over the hole, put a tomato plant through the
hole and newspaper so it is sticking out of the bottom of the bucket.
Then i filled the bucket with dirt and watered. Just a little
experiment.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 24-03-2003, 09:08 PM
Dwight Sipler

jammer wrote:

Just for giggles, i hung a bucket from a tree, made a whole in the
bottom, layed newspaper over the hole, put a tomato plant through the
hole and newspaper so it is sticking out of the bottom of the bucket.
Then i filled the bucket with dirt and watered. Just a little
experiment...

Just for giggles, I am issuing a Prediction:

The tomato plant will bend horizontally in the direction of the best
light (south if both the east and west are not shaded) and grow toward
the edge of the bucket. When it reaches the edge it will turn upward and
grow.

All assuming that you keep it watered and it doesn't freeze.

If it survives long enough it may put out suckers near the hole and you
will have several stems growing up the side of the bucket. However, the
suckers are mechanically weak at the joint to the stem so they may break
off when they get heavy enough.
Old 24-03-2003, 09:56 PM
jammer

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003 15:59:41 -0500, Dwight Sipler
wrote:

Well......I'll let you know! If it actually bears fruit, i can't see
it growing UP at all from the weight.

Old 25-03-2003, 07:44 PM
NewsUser

I saw this technique mentioned in a gardening magazine a few months back.
Thought I'd give it a try myself.

karen

Old 26-03-2003, 04:32 AM
jammer

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 11:38:28 -0800, "NewsUser"
wrote:

I saw this technique mentioned in a gardening magazine a few months back.
Thought I'd give it a try myself.

karen

You did? Dang, i thought i was just being the silly girl i am.
Actually the hole was cut too big and now i am trying to think of a
way to keep the dirt and plant from falling out. The newspaper is
giving way and dirt is coming out as is the plant.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 26-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Anna Merchant

I'm growing a tomato hydroponically, and want to train some "branches" to go
horizontal instead of upright, but dont have anything to tie them to. I saw
on a garden show the use of weights on fruit tree branches to shape them.
I've put some on my tomato plant to see if it will work. Anyone think it
will ?

--
Anna Merchant

http://www.thecotfactory.co.nz
If electricity comes from electrons, does that mean that morality comes from
morons?

Old 26-03-2003, 05:20 AM
jammer

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:46:30 +1200, "Anna Merchant"
wrote:

I'm growing a tomato hydroponically, and want to train some "branches" to go
horizontal instead of upright, but dont have anything to tie them to. I saw
on a garden show the use of weights on fruit tree branches to shape them.
I've put some on my tomato plant to see if it will work. Anyone think it
will ?

I knew a guy who grew another kind of plant hydroponically and he used
large nuts, tied a string through the circle and onto the branches. It
worked fine.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 26-03-2003, 03:08 PM
Dwight Sipler

jammer wrote:

...Actually the hole was cut too big and now i am trying to think of a
way to keep the dirt and plant from falling out. The newspaper is
giving way and dirt is coming out as is the plant...

find some little pieces of plastic, like the tags you get in plants and
slide them in the hole parallel with the bottom of the pot. That will
restrict the opening. If you don't have any plant tags, an old AOL disk
can be cut up for the purpose. An empty milk jug is a possible source of
thin plastic.

Old 26-03-2003, 08:08 PM
NewsUser

It was in GardenGate and the article is online at gardengatemagazine.com

They are using a 5 gallon bucket with lid, cutting a 2" hole in both lid and
bottom, then they say to stand the bucket upright and use a coffee filter or
fabric scrap (how about landscape cloth?) to cover the hole in the bottom to
keep the soil from falling out when the bucket is turned over. Then you put
in the soil, attach the lid (and you probably need to put another coffee
filter on this side), turn it over and put in the seedling tomato. You need
to let it grow upright for a while, then turn it over.

Karen

Old 27-03-2003, 03:20 AM
jammer

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:56:39 -0500, Dwight Sipler
wrote:

an old AOL disk
can be cut up for the purpose.

Brilliant!!!! Thanks!