GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/11552-unknown-bulb-do-you-recognize-flower.html)

paghat 24-03-2003 09:20 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

I planted a few Lachenalia aloides var quadricolor last autumn, but one of
the bulbs grew this instead:

http://www.paghat.com/images/unknownbulb_march.jpg

This stunted-hyacinth-like flower is shown at about life-size (or a bit
bigger than lifesize). I dunno yet if it's going to get any bigger. Not
very leafy, not very big, & standing there all alone, not very exciting,
but I do wonder what the heck it is.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

Cereoid+10+ 24-03-2003 10:08 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

Lachenalia splendida.

http://www.bulbsociety.com/GALLERY_O...S/Lachenalia/L
achenalia_splendida2/L.Splendida2.html

Its early yet. Give it time to live up to its name.

Allegra 25-03-2003 12:56 AM

"paghat" wrote in message
I planted a few Lachenalia aloides var quadricolor last autumn, but one of
the bulbs grew this instead:

http://www.paghat.com/images/unknownbulb_march.jpg

By the coloration it reminds me of L. "Pallida Blue" or blue pale
Lachenalia.
I may be wrong but here you have a description of it:

"Lachenalia "Pallida Blue" is probably a hybrid of L. splendida and may also
be known in the gardening community in New Zealand here as L. 'Te Puke
Blue', which is a seedline with a good and increasing reputation. The leaves
are shiny with parallel veins and are either smooth or pustulate."

Allegra

LeeAnne 26-03-2003 02:32 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

Looks like a mutant hyacinth to me, maybe an underdeveloped plant that was
mixed in w/your other bulbs?

Cereoid+10+ 26-03-2003 04:20 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

No, little LeeAnn. Its another species of Lachenalia. Note that the outer
three tepals are shorter than the inner three, a typical character of the
genus. In Hyacinthus, all six tepals are of the same length. You really need
to work really hard on developing your powers of observation. It would
really come in handy since you e-mail address says you are not of this world
anyway.

paghat 26-03-2003 04:56 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

Thanks so much to Steve & Allegra & even LeeAnn for helping out on this one.

IntarsiaCo 28-03-2003 06:32 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

Its another species of Lachenalia

It could be one of the darker blue selections of L. pustulata. Check out The
Lachenalia Handbook by Duncan

Cereoid+10+ 28-03-2003 07:08 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

I will do that when I finally get around to buying the book.

However the plant in the picture does not have the pustulate (warty) leaves
of Lachenalia pustulata.
http://www.paghat.com/images/unknownbulb_march.jpg

Now compare with the real Lachenalia pustulata.
http://www.thebulbman.com/Bulb%20Pho...20pustulata.jp

I'm sticking with Lachenalia splendida.

IntarsiaCo 28-03-2003 09:08 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

However the plant in the picture does not have the pustulate (warty) leaves
of Lachenalia pustulata.

I have grown perhaps a hundred from several seed sources (Silverhill, Bill
Dijk, Kirstenbosch, I would say that 30% do not have the pustulate leaves.
I can look up Duncan's description tomorrow, perhaps we can come to a
consensus.

Cereoid+10+ 28-03-2003 10:56 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

Then again you don't know if the seed is pure Lachenalia pustulata
pollinated by hand or open pollinated hybrids with Lachenalia splendida.

IntarsiaCo 29-03-2003 10:44 AM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

Then again you don't know if the seed is pure Lachenalia pustulata
pollinated by hand or open pollinated hybrids with Lachenalia splendida.

True. Here are Duncan's descriptions, perhaps she will let us know.

Lachenalia splendida:
A gregarious, often dwarf Lachenalia frequenting sandy flats on the Knersvlakte
mainly in the Vanrhynsdorp and Bitterfontein districts, and northwards to
Garies. It was previously known as L. roodeae.
The bulb produces two unmarked, lanceolate leaves and the peduncle is usually7
slightly swollen just below or at the base of the inflorescence. The sessile
flowers are oblong-campanulate in shape; the outer perianth segments are pale
blue at the base, shading to white or pale lilac, and have greenish-brown
gibbosities, while the protruding inner segments are dark lilac with a purple
central stripe. Height 60-250mm

Lachenalia pustulata:
Often found growing in large colonies, this scented Lachenalia has several
colour forms, and occurs on flats and rocky outcrops in the Saldanha,
Malmesbury,Paarl and Worcester districts, as well as on the Cape Peninsula.
The one or two lanceolate or lorate leaves may or may not be covered with
pustules on the upper surface, depending on locality. The inflorescence
consists of numerous oblong-campanulate flowers; in the typical colour forms,
the outer perianth segments are creah or very pale yellow, and have green
gibbosites, while the colour forms found on the west coast in the
Saldanha-Vredenburg districts occur in various shades of pink or blue and have
brownish-pink gibbosites. The protruding inner segments have a dark pink or
brown, or pale green central marking at the tips. It is closely related to L.
unicolor. Height 150-350mm

Cereoid+10+ 29-03-2003 03:08 PM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

The descriptions are not of much help.

No leaf or flower measurements?

What are the key differences between the species? Does her book have keys?

Are the flowers of L.pustulata sessile or stalked?

Paghat's mystery plant certainly appears to have sessile flowers as in
L.splendida.

IntarsiaCo 30-03-2003 02:32 AM

Unknown Bulb: Do You Recognize This Flower?

The descriptions are not of much help.

No leaf or flower measurements?

What are the key differences between the species? Does her book have keys?

Are the flowers of L.pustulata sessile or stalked?

No measurements, no key, stalked. I have pustulata in bloom, seed ex
Kirstenbosch, Want a picture? Splendida is long past.