Old 25-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Shepherd

Default Hedges

There is a hedge plant used here in Dallas that I want to put completely
around my fences and form a very private courtyard effect. I have one of the
plants and I intend to take a stem of it to the local nursery this week end
to find out it's name and a little about it.

In the mean time I thought some of you on this newsgroup might identify the
plant and give me some thought on its use.

The hedge is evergreen. In the spring the leaves turn deep red and it puts
out balls of white flowers. It seems to only put on growth in the early
spring, but then it grows like mad. I have seen hedges trimmed to about 10
feet high and about 4 feet wide.

I wonder what the name of this hedge is, is it easy to grow and reproduce
and will it be too aggressive and invade my neighbors property, and any
other information, pro or con you may have about this plant.

Thanks,

Shepherd

Old 25-03-2003, 05:44 AM
Tipp

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 01:07:56 GMT, "Shepherd"
wrote:

[...]

Is it a Red-tipped Photinia? They are very popular here in the PNW,
however they tend to get black spots due to the rain.
Old 25-03-2003, 02:20 PM
Pam

wrote:

[...]

It sounded a bit like Photinia to me, as well, and I know there are many planted
in the east and the south. The black spotting we see here in the PNW is not due
to the rain - it is a fungal problem that affects Photinia x fraseri in
particular and is actually more prevelent and widepsread in other parts of the
country than it is here.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdise...9/450-609.html
The repeated spotting and subsequent defoliation can weaken plants to the point
they fail and I have heard that many nurseries in those parts of the country no
longer sell this plant for this reason. You can treat with fungicide before the
disease takes hold, but it needs to be a frequent and repetitive program. Hardly
an ideal plant for hedging material with this liability - hopefully one of the
readers in your area can offer an alternate suggestion.

pam - gardengal

Old 25-03-2003, 04:20 PM
animaux

Red tip photinia, or Photinia fraserii. It is currently in decline from a disease
which is soil borne. There are far more suitable plants for your area.

Here is more info on the disease which is rampant:

Entomosporium Leaf Spot on Red Tip
Ornamental Disease Information Note 11
Ronald K. Jones, Plant Pathologist (retired)
Mike Benson, Plant Pathologist

[General Information] [Symptoms] [Disease Cycle] [Control]
[Back to Ornamental Disease Notes] [Other Resources]

General Information

Leaf spot, caused by the fungus Entomosporium maculatum, is a widespread and
destructive
disease of red tip (Photinia fraseri), loquat (Eriobotrya japonica), India hawthorn
(Rhaphiolepis indica),
some pear cultivars (Pyrus sp.) and several other members of the rose family. This
disease is most
damaging to plants in the landscape and nurseries during periods of cool, wet
weather and when
active growth is occurring.

Symptoms

Tiny, circular, bright red spots on both the upper and lower
surfaces of young expanding leaves are the first symptoms of
Entomosporium leaf spot. Numerous small spots may coalesce into
large maroon blotches on heavily diseased leaves. Leaf spots on
mature leaves have ash brown to light gray centers with a
distinctive deep red to maroon border. Tiny black specks, spore
producing bodies of the fungus, can often be observed in the
center of each leaf spot. Spots similar to those on the leaves can
develop on leaf petioles and tender stem growth during
prolonged periods of cool, wet weather.

Low levels of leaf spot usually cause little more than cosmetic damage but maintain
a source of
spores for future infections. Severe infections, however, often result in early and
heavy leaf drop.
Heavy leaf drop severely reduces the landscape value of red tip and can cause plant
death. Some
cultivars of India hawthorn are as severely affected as red tip.

Disease Cycle

Spots on the leaves and young shoots are important in the survival of the
Entomosporium leaf spot
fungus. Fallen, diseases leaves are less important sources of the fungus. Masses of
spores are
released during periods of wet weather from the fungal spore producing structures in
the center of
the spots from late winter through much of the year except during the hot periods of
summer.
These spores are spread to healthy foliage by a combination of splashing water and
wind. New leaf
spot symptoms appear within 10-14 days after a wet infection period.

Old 30-03-2003, 11:44 PM
ALEX MacGILLIVRAY

Photinia fraseri

[IMG] code is On

Planting hedges now Bonsai John T. Jarrett Texas 3 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
Hedges/drainage superstar_etta Texas 13 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
Planting hedges Gary Harper Texas 16 05-04-2003 12:09 PM
High Hedges Bill Essjay001 United Kingdom 16 30-12-2002 07:25 PM
Growing Roses through Beech hedges Grahame Fendle United Kingdom 3 25-11-2002 06:07 PM