Old 25-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Matt Leber

Default Pole beans as a screen?

We have a deck on the back of our house that is virtually unusable during a
sunny day when the temperature gets above 75 or so. We were thinking of
planting a screen made of green beans in two large pots with a trellise
between them. The idea is to train the beans up the trellise.

I am wondering if a 1x1x4 foot container would be large enough for the
beans.

Does anybody have any experience growing beans in containers?

--

Matt...
Old 25-03-2003, 10:32 PM
david

Sounds a bit small to me, but think of adding water retention polymers to
the compost will help them a bit.
Also why not mix Sweet peas with the beans, good scent and look good as well

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 25-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Matt Leber

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 22:19:30 -0000, david wrote:
Sounds a bit small to me, but think of adding water retention polymers to
the compost will help them a bit.

That was my suspicion as well but I figured I'd ask for other people's
experience. I suppose I don't have much to lose either way... I'll see if
I can't find a bigger container as well as checking out the polymers.

Also why not mix Sweet peas with the beans, good scent and look good as well

Sounds like a good idea although I didn't think that sweet peas did well
when it is hot. If I thoroughly mulch the roots do you think that they may
have a chance in such a hot area?

--

Matt...
Old 26-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Betsy

Try scarlet runner beans. They grow fast, have lovely leaves, make a thick
screen, and are edible to boot.

Old 26-03-2003, 04:32 AM
MacTech

We have a deck on the back of our house that is virtually unusable during a
sunny day when the temperature gets above 75 or so. We were thinking of
planting a screen made of green beans in two large pots with a trellise
between them. The idea is to train the beans up the trellise.

I am wondering if a 1x1x4 foot container would be large enough for the
beans.

Does anybody have any experience growing beans in containers?

How big a space do you need to cover with the beans? I haven't grown
beans in pots, but every year we put pole beans in the garden that we
plant in woven wire baskets (so they can climb the baskets). The
baskets are about three feet in diameter (and four to five feet high)
and I usually put about a dozen seeds in each basket. If you have a
significant space to cover, you might not get enough plants to do the
job in two containers that are only one-foot by one-foot (such as if
you're trying to cover 20 feet).

Sounds like an interesting way to provide shade. Good luck with your
project.

LeAnn

http://ruralroute2.com

Old 27-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:36:00 -0600, Matt Leber
wrote:

We have a deck on the back of our house that is virtually unusable during a
sunny day when the temperature gets above 75 or so. We were thinking of
planting a screen made of green beans in two large pots with a trellise
between them. The idea is to train the beans up the trellise.

I am wondering if a 1x1x4 foot container would be large enough for the
beans.

Does anybody have any experience growing beans in containers?

I grew beans in a 1' wide strip of rock-hard clay (outside an office
building). Don't know how deep the roots went.

I'd suggest scarlet runner beans or purple hyacinth beans (dolichos
lablabs) which are both fast-growing, sturdy, and have attractive
flowers to add to your deck's decor. Also edible.

Old 30-03-2003, 01:56 PM
MacTech

What is a woven wire basket? I may want to try out some beans this year.

Thank you
LeeAnne

Woven wire is a made from heavy wire that is "woven" into a screen
with 2, 4, or 6 inch squares. It's main purpose is as a fence to keep
smaller livestock in a pasture, but if you roll it up, you get a great
heavy duty basket for climbing plants. We use it for climbing peas,
climbing peas and even cucumbers. Be sure to stake them down good or
the weight of plants will tip them over.

Randy

---
http://ruralroute2.com
---