GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Swap Out Tomato Transplants? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/11668-swap-out-tomato-transplants.html)

Fleemo 25-03-2003 08:44 PM

Swap Out Tomato Transplants?

A few weeks back, hoping to get a jump on the season, I planted some
tomato transplants out in the garden and covered them at night with a
floating row. They held their own and survived, but their sister
seedlings, which were kept inside under grow lights, have flourished
and are three times as large. Now that warmer temperatures are here,
should I replace the original transplants with the hardier plants, or
will transplant shock even out the score in the long run?

jammer 26-03-2003 04:32 AM

On 25 Mar 2003 12:35:33 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

A few weeks back, hoping to get a jump on the season, I planted some
tomato transplants out in the garden and covered them at night with a
floating row. They held their own and survived, but their sister
seedlings, which were kept inside under grow lights, have flourished
and are three times as large. Now that warmer temperatures are here,
should I replace the original transplants with the hardier plants, or
will transplant shock even out the score in the long run?

I would switch them out.

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. 26-03-2003 10:20 PM

jammer wrote:

On 25 Mar 2003 12:35:33 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

A few weeks back, hoping to get a jump on the season, I planted some
tomato transplants out in the garden and covered them at night with a
floating row. They held their own and survived, but their sister
seedlings, which were kept inside under grow lights, have flourished
and are three times as large. Now that warmer temperatures are here,
should I replace the original transplants with the hardier plants, or
will transplant shock even out the score in the long run?

I would switch them out.

Probably, since Fleemo already has them. Next spring, I'd use
Wall-O-Water towers instead of tunnels, since they accumulate heat
and stay warmer at night.

Fleemo 28-03-2003 09:32 AM

Swap Out Tomato Transplants?

I would switch them out.

Probably, since Fleemo already has them. Next spring, I'd use
Wall-O-Water towers instead of tunnels, since they accumulate heat
and stay warmer at night.

Thanks for the input. I'll try those walls o' water next season.
Always wanted to try 'em out.