Old 27-03-2003, 02:56 AM
January85

Default Rocky Mt juniper question

Hi,
I have a yard to landscape and I would like to put in some Rocky MT
juniper trees. Anybody know anything about these trees, and the best way
to plant them?

Thanks

--
remove "NOJUNK" from

Old 27-03-2003, 01:08 PM
TOM KAN PA

Green side up!

Old 27-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Iris Cohen

I would like to put in some Rocky MT juniper trees. Anybody know anything
about these trees, and the best way to plant them?

Rocky Mountain juniper, Juniperus scopulorum, is a very tough species. It will
appreciate full sun. Standard recommendations for planting & establishing
garden conifers should be satisfactory.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-03-2003, 10:44 PM
January85

| Green side up!

Craphead.

Old 28-03-2003, 02:44 AM
zhanataya

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:41:26 GMT, "January85"
wrote:

| Green side up!

Craphead.

Lighten Up. It was a friendly response.

Old 28-03-2003, 03:32 AM
Pam

January85 wrote:

| Green side up!

Craphead.

Hold on - no need to get futzy. While Tom's response was a little
facetious, it was perfectly reasonable in response to an extremely
vague question:
1) Why do you think you want to plant Rocky Mt junipers if you know
nothing about them?
2) There are dozens of cultivars of this plant - any one in specific?
3) Have you done any investigation on the adviseability of this plant
for your situation other than asking here? Done any research? A search
on google?
4) Any reason you think planting these plants would be any different
from planting anything else?

The more specific you are in your request, the better the responses will
be.

Old 28-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Sed5555

I have a yard to landscape and I would like to put in some Rocky MT
juniper trees. Anybody know anything about these trees?

Here is some general information:
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/juniper2.htm
sed5555

Old 28-03-2003, 05:20 PM
January85

| Hold on - no need to get futzy.

I wasn't getting 'futzy" - I asked a question and got a trollish answer.

| 1) Why do you think you want to plant Rocky Mt junipers if you know
| nothing about them?

Becasue I like the way they look and I know they thrive in the general
area in which I want to plant them.

| 2) There are dozens of cultivars of this plant - any one in specific?

Tha'ts why I'm asking.

| 3) Have you done any investigation on the adviseability of this plant
| for your situation other than asking here? Done any research? A search
| on google?

They grow naturally around here.

| 4) Any reason you think planting these plants would be any different
| from planting anything else?

Yes, we are in a drought and common sense argues against planting the
usual stuff stocked in landscape nurseries.

| The more specific you are in your request, the better the responses
will
| be.

I'll repeat the initial post: I have a yard to landscape and I would
like to put in some Rocky MT juniper trees. Anybody know anything about
these trees, and the best way to plant them?

xx

Old 28-03-2003, 06:32 PM
zhanataya

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:09:13 GMT, "January85"
wrote:

| Hold on - no need to get futzy.

I wasn't getting 'futzy" - I asked a question and got a trollish answer.

| 1) Why do you think you want to plant Rocky Mt junipers if you know
| nothing about them?

Becasue I like the way they look and I know they thrive in the general
area in which I want to plant them.

| 2) There are dozens of cultivars of this plant - any one in specific?

Tha'ts why I'm asking.

| 3) Have you done any investigation on the adviseability of this plant
| for your situation other than asking here? Done any research? A search
| on google?

They grow naturally around here.

| 4) Any reason you think planting these plants would be any different
| from planting anything else?

Yes, we are in a drought and common sense argues against planting the
usual stuff stocked in landscape nurseries.

| The more specific you are in your request, the better the responses
will
| be.

I'll repeat the initial post: I have a yard to landscape and I would
like to put in some Rocky MT juniper trees. Anybody know anything about
these trees, and the best way to plant them?

xx

LOL Okay who's gonna be first to say "Green side up." BSEG

zhan
Old 29-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Pam

Okay - here ya go - read up:
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/junsco/
http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conif...scopulorum.htm
http://www.csu.org/cgi-bin/xeri/Xeri...detail?PIS-jss
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000807.html
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/shrub/jusc2.htm
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/JUNSCOA.pdf

and there are about 5000 more sites available. You may notice that none
address planting specifically. That is because instructions for planting
this tree/shrub are the same as for any other - dig a hole, place in plant
(green side up!) and water well to get established.

Junipers, including this one and its assorted several dozen cultivars, are
as common as dirt and don't require any specific care other than a full sun
location and watering to get established (at least two years). Once
established, they are drought tolerant, but so are a good many other, more
desireable plants commonly sold at any nursery.

pam - gardengal

Old 03-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Babberney

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 15:11:35 GMT, Pam wrote:

Okay - here ya go - read up:
http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/junsco/
http://www.botanik.uni-bonn.de/conif...scopulorum.htm
http://www.csu.org/cgi-bin/xeri/Xeri...detail?PIS-jss
http://www.msue.msu.edu/msue/imp/modzz/00000807.html
http://www.biosurvey.ou.edu/shrub/jusc2.htm
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/trees/JUNSCOA.pdf

and there are about 5000 more sites available. You may notice that none
address planting specifically. That is because instructions for planting
this tree/shrub are the same as for any other - dig a hole, place in plant
(green side up!) and water well to get established.

But for more complete instructions, visit the consumer info link in my
sig line. The most common problem in transplanted trees (assuming
proper watering intervals) is they get planted too deeply. If you buy
a containerized plant, it's probably already too deep because of
multiple repottings. Scrape away soil till you can see the root
flares at the base of the tree, and plant high enough to make sure
they are still visible.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www2.champaign.isa-arbor.com/.../consumer.html