GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   sickly looking azaleas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/11967-sickly-looking-azaleas.html)

Jane 28-03-2003 01:56 AM

sickly looking azaleas

My azaleas have turned brown and are dying in segments. It was extremely
harsh last winter but they started going downhill the summer before. In
spite of the drought I watered them. What could be wrong?

Steve Henning 10-04-2003 08:56 PM

sickly looking azaleas

"Jane" wrote:

My azaleas have turned brown and are dying in segments. It was extremely
harsh last winter but they started going downhill the summer before. In
spite of the drought I watered them. What could be wrong?

If parts of leaves are turning brown, it is probably winter damage.
When the ground is frozen, watering doesn't help, it just adds to the
ice cube.

If branches are turning brown, then it could be drought damage. Azaleas
tend to shed branches as the drought progresses to conserve water for
the surviving parts.

For other problems check out my rhododendron and azalea website:

http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html
http://members.aol.com/rhodyman/rhodybooks.html

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning